1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Keto & Pressure Cooker

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fingerguy, Nov 26, 2018.

1. fingerguy

fingerguy

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    I am jumping on the band-wagon for this Keto diet and utilizing a pressure cooker and got a book for beginners due to my lack of cooking skills.

Anyone else done this? From what I hear between the internet and the real-world it's very effective (the dient) and easy to use (pressure cooker).

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    Lesfunk likes this.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    My guitar player did it. Years of dat melted off that guy. But he admitted is was incredibly hard to stick to. He got tired of thinking about food and food prep. Je has a wife and two kids so having different meals for different family members became tedious.

Also, once he got down to a manageable weight, he got off the keto and went to a "low-ish carb" diet and working out. His transformation was impressive. I considered it myself (search for a thread.... I think I may have started one here about it). In the end it was just too much time thinking about and prepping food that got me. I'm eating cleaner and working out. That seems to be doing the trick.

Good luck with it if you try it.

3. fingerguy

fingerguy

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    ETA is tomorrow. So will be doing it not trying it. If I don't do something soon things will get way out of hand. I need something that is easy but doesn't require you eating TV dinners and not crazy expensive like these pre-prepared meals that you can have shipped to you.

two fingers likes this.
  4. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I try to use a sustainable diet. Here is my current diet:

• Less carb
    • Smaller portion
    • Plenty of fiber
    • More fruit and fresh vegetables
    • NO fast food
    • Less processed food; more natural food
    • NO refined sugar
    • Drink mostly water, some (black) coffee allowed
    • Less calories in; more calories burned. Diets don't work without matching exercise
    I'm not saying this is for everyone, but it is sustainable, and I plan to be on it FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE. I don't count calories, and I don't track anything.

maxmaroon likes this.
  5. fingerguy

fingerguy

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    Do you have once a week or once a month day that you indulge?

6. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis

Nope. I am an ex-alcoholic, ex-crack addict, ex-smoker, and I find the only way to change is with absolutes. NO INDULGENCES. Again, not for everyone.

7. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

4A08220F-2657-4929-B16B-A1B5F0A94124. A8ECDD4A-E358-4F33-BC37-30578BB5961A. I lost 135 lbs on keto in one year

rashrader, Jeff K, TheBear and 3 others like this.
  8. fingerguy

fingerguy

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    Congrats!

Well alrighty then. I am a former smoker but none of the other stuff. I will probably indulge and see how my self-control goes from there.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    This would be a good time to honestly evaluate your relationship with food. That may sound corny, but for many people (myself included), it is not healthy. For example, I was an emotional eater.
    Changing your eating habits could amplify your results.

-Mike

TheBear, Clark Dark and fhm555 like this.
  10. fingerguy

fingerguy

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    That is the whole plan with the Keto diet. It's not just a diet it's also a lifestyle. I am looking at long term.

MJ5150 likes this.
  11. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    The trick for me was making food related lifestyle changes as dieting was always a near constant roller coaster ride.

MJ5150 and Thick McRunfast like this.
  12. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Yep, good point.
    In my case, it took me going to several sessions with a certified nutritionist/mental health counselor to help me identify how I would get from point A (wanting something to eat) to point B (eating that something).
    She was very clever and used my love for the game of football to design some 'plays' that would block me from getting to point B. Once I saw it on paper and saw the 'plays', it all made sense.
    For clarification here, I am referring to my issue with emotional eating. Not the eating of normal meals for nourishment purposes. That was part of my education as well, differentiating between using food as a tool to nourish my body and eating food (not always junk food, but usually was) because I was mad/happy/upset/tired/relieved/etc.

-Mike

fhm555 likes this.
  13. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Yep, when i got mangled and told it was never gonna get better i first rejected that notion and tried to simply power through the pain and limited mobility thinking it was just a matter of not giving in. When that didn’t work then the denial and depression crept in and i treated the depression with food. Unfortunately that phase went the better part of five years and saw analmost doubling of my weight. I finally found acceptance and started working on a comeback. Dieting was great, i’d pick one and drop weight, then i’d slack and the yoyo effect kicked in; weight back up, new diet, weight loss, slack and then do it all over again. I finally resolved to make some simple changes, as little fat and sugar (in all forms) as possible, meals consist of no more than three items and portions are no larger than the palm of my hand and no seconds no exceptions. So far so good and i’ve even been able to stray on special occasions like a piece of borthday cake and go right back to my new life right away. I’m still losing but it’s starting to slow, but i’m closing in on what i weighed when i graduated high school when i was in the best shape of my life so no complaints.

MJ5150 likes this.
  14. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    First half of my life I fought the bulge. At 25, I got tired of it, and lost 50 pounds over a little less than a year by doing the following:

- no seconds
    - no eating after dinner
    - regular exercise.

Every day for lunch, I had a 12 inch Subway, however I wanted it.

When I got to my desired weight, I kept weighing myself. If I gained more than three pounds, back on that plan. That stopped the creep. Twenty-eight years later, it's still off.

To me, the key was NOT dieting. Dieting is something temporary, where you deprive yourself. What I did was change my eating habits for life.

MJ5150 likes this.
  15. corndog

corndog Supporting Member

this x1000. I have been doing this for 11 months, lost 25 lbs without a big sacrifice, starting to add muscle weight now. Losing weight doesn't need to be complicated, understand what carbs, calories, fats (good and bad) do an don't do.

MJ5150 likes this.
  16. I have lost 75 lbs in about 10 months on Keto...it works...it's hard (as I love bread pasta and Pizza) for the first few weeks but after a couple of months it becomes habit and gets much easier...

I started using almond flour and baking things like cookies, brownies, biscuits, and pizza dough...so i could have the things i was missing...won't ever go back...feel better, look better, and I got off the drugs the doctors put me on...blood pressure is down, blood sugar is down and bad cholesterol is down...my mind is faster and sharper too...

there are tons of companies now on the keto bandwagon...there is even no varb pasta and bread out there...

Something else i did in addition to just keto...is i eat much smaller portions more often...so instead of three meals a day i have 6 to 8 small meals roughly 3 to 4 hours apart in pre-measured portions

down from a 38 inch waist to 32 down from a 2Xl shirt to a large

all without exercise...though i have peaked at 205...so i recently got back on a bike as my goal is 195...

reach out if you need help...

for me it was hard to take in the amount of fat needed the first few days to start the process of ketosis...

33095547_628993130826905_1702293683426033664_n.?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-2.

at my heaviest almost 300 lbs (look at that gut and neck) i had become sedentary with a desk job..

10 months later at 210 lbs

33020084_628991970827021_3182406376462745600_n.?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-2.

37361097_673744049685146_1636283197182443520_n.?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.

37299173_673727613020123_19390716484517888_n.?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-2.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    Jeff K likes this.
  17. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    The best part is you never have to end your "diet".

MJ5150 likes this.
  18. Along with hitting the gym consistently, I I also implemented keto. In a year a lost 50 pounds. about three months ago had reintroduced some carbs into diet, and things were holding steady. That is, until Thanksgiving and the kick-off of holiday season. I dropped keto, and slacked on hitting the gym. I decided to take a break. I gained 15 pounds back. I was measuring it, and was aware, although I wasn't happy. Now that the Christmas is over, I'm getting back to it. My first day back at the gym is Monday (giving my liver time to cleanse, lol), and once the leftovers from NYE are gone, then it's back on a low-carb lifestyle consistently. Tonight's dinner will be Cajun shrimp and avocado.

MJ5150 likes this.
  19. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Good move bro, and way cool that you are now aware of your weight gains and what caused it.
    I'm two weeks into clean eating, nothing crazy, just smart eating. 24 pounds down at this point. When I hit 30 pounds lost, I will join a gym and get after it. The gym is eight miles away, up and down a couple fairly steep hills. I am hoping by spring to be able to walk to the gym and back. For now, I will drive.

-Mike

Eric Perry likes this.
  20. That's great man. I'm lucky in that the gym is literally a mile from my house, so I don't have the argument to make that it's too far or whatever. I'm sure I'd try to justify that if distance was an issue. Lol

MJ5150 likes this.