Kev Hopper from Stump

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by josephbass86, May 5, 2020.

1. josephbass86

josephbass86 Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Anyone else a fan of this guy? I think he has a very unique voice on the bass, very experimental but very groovy.
    Probably best known for playing in the band Stump from the late 80s, whose sound I'm not even going to attempt to describe. Has also done a lot of solo bass recordings that are pretty cool. Just wanted to see if anyone else dig this guy.
    I attached some audio examples for those who haven't been exposed to this guy and his madness.

blackpitt69 likes this.
  2. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Loved Stump back in the day, insane cheeky stuff. He, along with Percy Jones and Mick Karn, are the triumvirate of fretless Wal.
    A HISTORY OF WAL BASSES: Wal custom built basses, rarities & oddities...

3. josephbass86

josephbass86 Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2002
    The first time I heard Kev with Stump, I thought it sounded like someone had taken the quirky, humorous percussive part of Percy's playing and cranked it up to 11.

4. I am not a fan of his music or playing but one might describe it as esoteric. Kev used to post regularly on Basschat.co.uk under the name 'Spoombung', if you are interested in searching some of his posts.

5. Pure genius. Kev and Mick Karn are my two all time favourite bassists. Both pushing the boundaries of what bass can be in a piece in IMHO.

josephbass86 likes this.
  6. WG Plum

WG Plum

Apr 9, 2021
    Seattle
    I dig him. He put out a cool record with a different band a few years ago:

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021