Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kevin Kinney

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by johnm0187, Jun 23, 2005.

1. The singer and guitarist of drivin' n cryin' played at the Media Play down the street from me, so I had to go over there.

It was just him, his acoustic guitar, and his good ol' Boss Looper.

Truthfully, I didn't really expect much, but he definently proved me wrong. He played some stuff off of his new solo cd, and he also played songs from Drivin' N Cryin'. He used his loop very tastefully and had some wicked solos. He obviously had lost his voice so his singing wasn't great, but it kinda had a cool raspy feel to it. It was pretty cool

I have a picture of Kevin and myself at media play that I'll hopefully get up in a few days.

The cool thing about this is my acoustic guitarist and vocalist played there about 4 weeks ago, and it is great to see a well known artist play where you played earlier.

2. slackdaddy

slackdaddy

Mar 1, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Endorsing Artist: David Eden Amplifiers / Rob Wave Custom basses
    Kevn is by far one of the most under-rated singer/songwriters out there. Amazing songs and a nice guy too. He has taught me a lot!

3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Kevn is a great performer!

4. slackdaddy

slackdaddy

Mar 1, 2004
    Athens, GA
    I stumbled across thid thread today. I thought you might want to know that KK has had surgery. He had a cyst on his vocal chords. He sounds GREAT now! If you get a chance to check out a show, don't miss it!

5. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Hey BH,

That is great to hear... Hey I'm playing at GA Theater tomorrow night opening up for Zac Brown, are you going to be around tomorrow during the day? I have a friend of mine in town from Boston and I was going to take him around Ath during the daytime before soundcheck/load-in.

Last time we were at GA Theater I got to bump into Neal Fountain... great to see him, as always.

Hope to see y'all tomorrow,
    J

6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Good to hear he's still at it!

My cover band does "Fly Me Courageous" as the last song each gig, and I just love playing it!

...try to imagine a 43 year old, 250 lbs, 6'2" dude with too much fuzzy hair bangin' his head and stompin' around the stage...yeah, pathetic, but I don't care, GREAT stuff!

7. slackdaddy

slackdaddy

Mar 1, 2004
    Athens, GA
    I would love to hear your version of "Fly Me Courageous" if you have it online somewhere! Cool tune.