1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Kewl Gear Contest

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Hi Folks,

I don't know if anyone saw this page yet, but noisefx.com is putting on a contest for who has the coolest gear with an emphasis on effects, and I thought some fellow FX-heads would enjoy rating the gear on there, and maybe even submit their own pics!

http://contest.noisefx.com/

i thought it was pretty cool :)

Charlie

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Man, I wish they had that contest about a year or two ago. My noise band was in full force, and I had an insane couple of racks full of collectible/unusual processors. Since then I have been paring back to the "necessities" in order to make my mortgage payments and focus more on my bass playing. So not so much "bragging rights" for me these days.

3. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    except its for noiseisicans, not bassists... So unless you are making harsh noise, I wouldn't submit - unless you want to have an unjust rating of 1.2 because your board is not for making noise. :rollno:

4. i bet you ten bucks that if someone here with a substantial pedal collection just hooked them all up to each other and submit it, they could hold their own :)

5. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    but that would be like someone submiting a punk song into a country and western song writing contest.

6. well, then just enjoy and rate the pics :)

7. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    as long as you rate my NOISE board good... :p

8. I don't think it'll matter if it's a noise board or just for playing bass, it's not a contest of sound clips, it's pictures. It's the boards themselves, not the sounds they make.

And I'm sure that a lot of the people here could do well in the runnings, there are some people on there that have a mere 2 pedals!

-Le Seaworthy Bassist

9. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    actualy... after talking to the people running said contest, its for noise gear... but meh, who am i to say... personaly, this whole thing is pissing me off kinda...

**edit**

put on by noisefx.. KEYWORD NOISE...

10. The keyword is "gear" not noise. If you have something that makes some sort of musical type sound, you have something that can do a noise piece. If you have gear, you can post it to a cool gear contest. Again, it's the pictures, not the sounds, the point is to have an excuse to show off gear pr0n!

And plus who says bass and noise can't coexist in a recording?

-Le Seaworthy Bassist

11. olaff421

olaff421

Sep 29, 2006
    Murfreesboro TN
    I have a wierd pedal that I very rarely use. I have no idea what it's called, but it's a combination white noise generator/wah/volume/siren. I hooked it up to my board once, and I was making all sorts of racket. The wah doesn't sound half bad either.

12. olaff, thats cool :) I think you are talking about an effect pedal called the super effect--they were made by a bunch of japanese companies, I know there is Apollo, Greco and Mica, I really want one bad--I have a good friend who has the greco super effect, and he says it's one of his favorite wahs :)

13. olaff421

olaff421

Sep 29, 2006
    Murfreesboro TN
    After reading your post I dug it out to see if there's any kind of company same or anything on it. It says 'Tele-Star' on a plate on the back. As far as controls, there's the exp. pedal, the siren on/off switch, and three knobs on the side. There's a knob that changes the effect type: Vol/Surf/Hurricane/Wah. Then one each for the volume of the surf and hurricane. I don't really remember the difference between the two. I think they are just different kinds of white noise.

I might take this to band practice this week and mess around with it some.

14. Olaff, that sounds like one of the coolest and most ridiculous pedals I've ever heard of. A siren? What use could you possibly have for that, and why is it that I don't have one?? If you could find out any more information on the pedal, its manufacturer, or anything, you would make my day!

Soundclips or pictures of the pedal would be nice too!

-Lokkenjawnz

15. olaff421

olaff421

Sep 29, 2006
    Murfreesboro TN
    Yeah, it's pretty much the most rediculous thing I've ever heard. The wah sounds pretty good though, IIRC.

I'm not really set up for recording myself, but I'll see if my drummer can help out sometime. I'll get some pics soon for ya. As far as the manufactuer, the only thing on it is 'Tele-Star.' I don't know if that's the company, or the effect.

16. I just did some quick research on the pedal, and it's really confusing trying to figure it all out. It seems that there was/is a Japanese company called Shin-Ei that made effects from the 60s up through the 70s or 80s, but it seems like the pedal has been rebranded at least twice. I saw one of them on Ebay that had Kingston as the brand, and some of them say Companion, which could be a rebranding, or the name of the pedal. It also seems like there's at least 2 numeral designations (ME-7 and HA-9P respectively) and of course what SuperBassMan said, there's the Greco, Mica, and Apollo. I haven't been able to figure out the difference between them all, aside from a different layout on some of them. I'm seriously GASing for one now, and I've found one for sale (I think) that I'll hopefully be able to get.

-Lokkenjawnz

17. Wow, you found the only one of these pedals for sale online!

I actually found it before I made my post too, and I wasn't going to tell anyone so I could save it for myself too! Oh god the GAS some of these strange effects cause!

I might be getting it for Xmas though, depending on how much my family loves me lol.

If I do get it, I will surely post up clips, pictures, the whole shebang. It'll be sweet like free candy.

And that's pretty sweet.

-Lokkenjawnz

18. olaff421

olaff421

Sep 29, 2006
    Murfreesboro TN
    That's pretty much the one I have. The pedal is all black though. But the controls look to have the same layout. I'm remembering more and more about this thing as this thread goes on. The siren button starts the siren at a certain note, then it goes up to like one or two octaves above that note (maybe.) When you hit it to turn it off it doesn't just turn off. It ramps back down to the orignal note and fades out. If you are into messing with pedals on the fly live, this a boss pitch shifter (the light blue one) and a delay can make some seriously trippy stuff.

EDIT: So yeah, I posted all that stuff before I listened to the clip. The one I have has the controls on the side like the one for sale. This is a very strange pedal. I can't help be wonder what they were thinking when they made it. I also think it's funny about the price tag on the one for sale. I bought mine off ebay for around $30. I sold off a bunch of pedals when I was unemployed a while back, and I didn't sell this one. (I wish I didn't have to sell the others!) I figured this could be a neat studio trick to pull out sometime.