Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Key changes?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bouch, Dec 19, 2002.

1. bouch

bouch

Jan 25, 2002
    Toronto, Canada
    I've tried searching, but can't find the answer I'm looking for...if this has been discussed please point me in the right direction...

(In my limited knowledge of theory)...
    If I'm changing key signatures within a song (modulate up a tone), for the transition chord, I would play the V of the new key (?)...so if I'm going from key of C to D, I would use an A chord as the transition.

Here's my question,
    What is the 'rule of thumb' if I'm not going up a tone within a song. What do I do if I'm changing songs, in a medly, and going from the key of Bb to G?
    Can I do that?
    Can I still just play a D chord as a transition?
    Is there a better "proper" way to do it?

Thanks for your help,
    bouch

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Ok, well if you're going up a tone, you may not find that you need to use a dominant to get there. Are you doing the classic (or cliche, rather ;)) up-a-tone-keychange(tm) (perhaps not as common as the classic up-a-semitone-keychange(tm)) where (often towards the end of a song) the whole thing just goes up a tone, and you carry on... or is it like a middle section that is in D, and after that it goes back to C? Without hearing the song, it's difficult to say.

However, I would say, as a rule of thumb - do what sounds good. There are no rules, no 'proper' way.

However, there are some things you may find work well. Dominant 7ths are a good way (e.g. to get to C, go via G7 etc.) - another one is 2-5-1. A common way of getting to a new key is going ii-V-I in the new key. E.g. to get to G, you could go Am7 D7 G - or some variation thereof. This one works very well, almost regardless of what key you're coming from. But, play around, see what works with the given song.

Going from Bb to G, you could just use a D7 (you could just use a D, but D7 might work better, because the 7th will help resolve to G), it would sound fine. Bb D7 G is a perfectly reasonable sequence. A good way would be to use what I mentioned above - 2-5-1 - and go Bb Am7 D7 G. Bb to Am7 to D7 are nice changes. This is actually what 'Yesterday' does. It starts on G, then modulates to Em, via F#m7 and B7. It works well. The old 2-5-1 is very common.

The ways I've mentioned are fairly common ways - but there really is no 'proper' way - do what sounds good! Let your ears be the judge!

3. bouch

bouch

Jan 25, 2002
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks for your help moley.

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    No problem :)