1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Key of chord progression with 4 major or 4 minor or 2 diminished chords?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ThePresident777, Feb 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Well now you're just making stuff up, but that's cool.

Tuning out of talkbass theory conversations again.

2. ThePresident777

ThePresident777

Oct 6, 2013
    I'm still trying to figure out what makes the circle of fifths tick and then I can move onto answering WUTP's questions.

I can see some patterns of course, especially the ones spelled out, such as .... fifths. But, It's actually Circle of PERFECT Fifths (clockwise direction), in other words Circle of 7 Semi-tones, not Circle of any old Fifths. I think that's an important detail.

The first sharp in the series is F# in the Key of G (spelled in tables for all to see). So all the sharps in the series are 6 semi-tones, a Diminished Fifth, forward of the previous key in the series, i.e. from C it's 6 semi-tones to F#, a Diminished Fifth from C, and one semi-tone before the Key it first appears in. That's probably not a very clear explanation but I'm still working on it. C. G --> F#/Gb. D--> F#, C#/Db. A--> F#, C#, G#/Ab. Etc.

I would guess that "Who Does She Hope To Be" would be the easiest song on that album. I don't think anything on Ask The Ages reminds me of anything else except for Jazz in general.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  3. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    A light bulb will go on over your head if you pick up your bass and jam along with "Many Mansions" right now. You will realize I am not giving you an impossible advanced/expert task to make myself look smart. Two easy questions and an extra credit: What are the 5 notes of the main riff, repeated over and over and over again, really loud, for 9 minutes? Does one of these notes feel like "home" of the key? And (bonus question), do you know the fancy music-theory name for this particular 5-note scale? If you can focus and do this ear-training exercise, one time, with a song from an album that you really love, then you'll be building your musical vocabulary, and your efforts will be amplified 1,000x every time you jam with a guitarist who wants to play this exact same scale, over and over and over again, really loud, for 9 minutes (and it will happen to you someday, I promise). You can do this. Don't over think it! Get a base hit and feel good about yourself. :)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  4. This was like a super intense version of Coltranes "Equinox"...

Mushroo likes this.
  5. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    That is a good observation. Elvin Jones is the drummer on both "Many Mansions" and "Equinox." The saxophonist Pharoah Sanders was also a member of John Coltrane's band (although he joined a little later and does not appear on the famous recording of "Equinox").

I should point out that, despite the sonic similarities, "Many Mansions" and "Equinox" have different songs forms and harmonic structures. I'm hoping ThePresident777 will be able to come up with it. ;)

The John Coltrane song that "Many Mansions" most calls to mind for me is "Spiritual."

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016