Key Recordings

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by codeine, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Hey guys I am wondering if anyone can can give me a little guide as to what songs and albums of a few bassists I want to listen to.

I am probably looking for about 5 songs and an album for each of them.

Here we go:

Larry Graham
    Gary Willis
    Chuck Rainey
    Jerry Jemmott
    Dave La Rue
    Chris Squire
    Roger Glover
    Phil lesh

Thanks for any help.
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

4. Bruce Lindfield

See - unnecessary!! ;)
  5. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Larry Graham -
    Buy Sly and the family stones' greatest hits album. There isn't a bad song on it! Also, check Graham Central station out, especially their first, self-titled album.

Same here, there is a fine greatest hits album out. You'll also want to check Parliament's "Chocolate city" out, contains some of his finer work. And of course "Sex machine" w. James Brown

Chuck Rainey
    Steely Dan "Aja" and "Royal scam" albums. Also Aretha franklin "young gifted and black" album.

Jerry Jemmott
    Aretha Franklins "Soul '69" is one of my favourite albums. Also contains the great Tommy Cogbill and Ron Carter.

Roger Glover
    Deep Purple's "In Rock", "Machine Head" and "Fireball" all contain fine work by mr. Glover.

Hope this helps!
  6. Bruce Lindfield

I said some of those already!! Keep up!!
  7. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Is that so? Well, I said them better! :p
  8. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Phil & Friends - "There and Back Again" is a great album and a good example of his current sound with Warren Haynes & Jimmy Herring on guitars. Also, just about any of the Grateful Dead "Dick's Picks" are good representations of his Dead years. I would stay away from the Dead studio stuff (Although "Workingman's Dead" is an incredible, must own album).
  9. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    As for Chris Squire....Instead of buying a CD, I'd highly recommend spending just a few more dollars and getting the "Keys To Ascension" DVD. It's only $20 and it's 2.5 hours of some of the best YES you will ever find on audio or video. Squire is totally awesome on this one and cuts through perfectly....superb audio quality!
  10. Sorry about jackin' your thread codine, but I gotta ask.

What CD would give me the best of:

James Jamerson (Got the book, but that's not him playing)
    Stanley Clark
    Ray Brown
    Rocco Prestia
    Anthony Jackson
    Will Lee
  11. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    For Stanley Clarke on the upright I'd recommend Chick Corea/RTF "Light as a feather". For electric bass playing... maybe his solo albums "School Days" and "I wanna play for you"... "Journey to love"...

For Ray brown you should go for Oscar peterson trio records . I believe Brown also has a few cds with his own trio, haven't heard them however.

12. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Stanley Clarke - 'School Days' is his most popular solo album, and the title track is probably his best electric composition. There is a "best-of" available called 'The Bass-ic Collection' which is a good introduction. For Clarke's upright work, check out Return to Forever's 'Light as a Feather' - AMAZING bass playing.

Anthony Jackson - The all-time classic AJ track (and one all the all-time greatest basslines) is 'For The Love Of Money' by The O'Jays. His work on the O'Jay's albums 'Backstabbers' and 'Ship Ahoy' is very good, although it may not be AJ on all the tracks - the vinyl copies I have do not have credits for each track. The Chaka Khan album 'Whatcha Gonna Do For Me' is classic AJ, but not easy to find. He also featured on Al DiMeola's solid albums from the late '70s/early '80s. If you can find them on CD, pick up any albums by Steve Khan's 'Eyewitness' group.
  13. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Dave LaRue has a solo album, "Hub City Kid." I can't find my copy of it. There were a couple songs on there I really liked. He also played (plays) bass for Steve Morse. I particularly liked his work on "Vista Grande" and "Point, Counterpoint' which are two songs on the CD "Southern Steel".

La Rue also has an excellent instruction video.
  14. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Ray Brown released a very enjoyable CD of Christmas jazz last November. I really enjoyed that CD during the Christmas holidays. The name is "Christmas Songs with the Ray Brown Trio."
  15. Will Lee has played on many recordings but I have found the following to amazing:
    • Hiram Bullock --Live at Manny's Car Wash
    • Hiram Bullock --World of Collision
    Manny's Car Wash CD has Lee doing amazing things on cover of "Higher Ground" and basically cutting loose throughout the CD.
  16. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Larry Graham-Release yourself
    Bootsy-The 2 cd james brown compalation called the JB's
    Gary Willis-The Tribal tech album that has Boat gig on it.
    Chuck Rainey- Aretha with james cleaveland Amazing grace
    Jerry Jemmott-BBking Alive and well and completely well

Phil lesh- Dick's picks number 3 it from a show in may of 77 wich is known to be one of the best tours they ever had. If you get a different one try to get one between 73 and 77.
  17. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    James Jamerson-Some kind of motwon greatest hits
    Stanley Clark-Jouney to love
    Ray Brown-Oscar peterson we get request's
    Rocco Prestia-TOP live and in living coulor
    Anthony Jackson-Michael camilio trio
    Will Lee- the hyram bullock album that has Funky Broadway on it.
  18. Thanks heaps for all the input guys.

I have listened to a bit of what was suggested and I must say that i was very impressed by Chuck Rainey, Bootsy, Gary Willis and Dave la Rue.

I haven't been able to listen to any of the Jemmott, Chris squire, Phil lesh or Roger glover yet so i can't comment there.

I wasn't overly impressed by what I heard of larry graham. I only listened to the Sly stone hits an i didn't 'really' listen so maybe that is why. I will listen o them a little more in depth later.
    What songs is he at his best on?
  19. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Well, 'Thank You (Falletinme be myself)' is widely regarded as being the first recording of slapped bass. Another classic Larry track is 'Hair' by Graham Central Station.
  20. Yeah 'thank you' was the initial standout track for me but I have now heard 'the jam' and that is one funky song. More like what i was expecting to hear from LG. Is the stuff he played in central station more like the jam than his stuff in Sly stone?