Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Key Signatures, something I dont quite understand

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by cassanova, Dec 15, 2001.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

Ok I know this is a very crude example of notation, (its F cleff), The #'s are C# and F#, I do apologize as I couldnt figure out how to put them in the rightfull spots on the notation. Just trying to give ya some sort of idea.

I was reading a site, and it was discussing key signatures, I understand how to read what notes here are going to be played sharp or flat, but what I dont understand is how this tells me that Im in the key of D Major or B minor

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
  3. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Well, it could be either, the signature itself can't tell you which key it is. The content of the music is the only thing that can tell you what key you are playing in. The context of the V-I movement would be the best gauge of what key you are playing in. You could actually be playing in 2 sharps and be playing in something other than D or Bm. Using accidentals you could be in G or A or some other close key, it's not uncommon in classical music to change key within a piece without changing the key signature.

Chris A.:rolleyes:

4. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Ugh, I gotta find a new signature..........

Chris A.:rolleyes:

5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Thanks for the link Gard, very much appreciated, I shouldve checked my C drive, because I remember when you gave me that when I was asking you about the circle of fifths one time. Heh, I actually cut/paste and save good stuff like that. I hate to say it, but im still as confused as a baboon in a banana factory on how that relates to the overall key that post of mine was in, but im sure ill figure it out after reading it for a few hours...thanks for your help.:D ;)

6. :rolleyes: Dude do you even own a bass!?!? I think TAB is for you if your having problems with this!Matel used to make a little bass where when you pushed the buttons on the frets it played a song, that might be a good starting point!!!

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    i think you dont have a clue what your talkin about ok, some ppl things take a bit longer to sink in, ive been playin for 15 years now, and am the product of many years of tabs, not givin a rats ass about theory, and to be blunt, im pretty damn good at playing bass, i just dont know much theory, in fact i get paid to play for a living, i do church and session work, and dont have a 9-5 job. Do you?

Judging by your influances i think it may be safe to say you dont know much at all. ill give ya the wings and mcartney but cmon now fieldy? korn? puleze :rolleyes: so take your wise ass little matel comments elsewhere and go try flaming someone else. mmmkay

btw, i can think of a really great place for ya to put that matel bass, just bend over :D

sorry all you other out there had to read this, and i know, its not very moderatorly, and i do apologise, i cant believe i actually let someone on the net piss me off.

8. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Gee, I think I should put a 10-page mathematics lecture in my sig!
    It would make my posts seem so much more intelligent!

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    *ASS MUSTARD FLECKS,

Here's an idea: why don't you try walking into a room full of people you don't know, pick one at random who's trying to learn something from a group of friends, and then start flaming him for not knowing what he's trying to learn already. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHhahaha...heeheee!! Boy that would be funny, wouldn't it? :rolleyes:

For your next trick, perhaps you could try acting really surprised and indignant when you get jumped by the party in question's friends and tossed unceremoniously out the door backside first... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Bravo! Way to make friends on your first day!:rolleyes:

And lose the signature, man, it's irritating to have to scroll for a half hour to get to the next post.

11. Man I'm sorry! I'd been drinking all yesteday and got a little grumpy. I get kids coming up to me all the time with "He dude if I do this and that can I play like you!?!?!". I guess when I signed up for the forum I didn't expect that. I've never actually been outside the bay area. One time I built this little go kart for my kid out of an old hot water heater tank and some casters and it went fast! We may be competing in the next race if we can get some replacement axles in time. Anyhow, if you use thrust bearings instead of needle bearings you won't be throwing chains all the time. Seez Ya, Ted

12. What the hell does a bloody go kart have to do with key signatures?
    And do us all a favour and get rid of your signature!

BTW, I race proper race-modified karts twice a week (the kind the race around a track at 70-100kms per hour!) and it sounds like you need a whole new kart!

13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I think this guy is poised to be the next in line for the "Jabbering Water Closet treatment"

I love our tight community.:D

14. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    me too :D

thanks for the backup guys, *sheds tear*

15. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    your apology's accepted, but i dont care if your drinkin or not, thats not a good excuse, next time you try and flame someone, i suggest that you think twice cos you will get banned for it eventually, and for future reference, make sure ya dont try and slam a mod.

and please do something with that ridiculous signature of yours

16. Fake Or not (wich he is) Please don't boot this guy mods. This dude is to funny, probably the best don't do drugs ad i have ever seen.

17. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    thanks fuqwad :eek: ;) (thats for maulin my name)

I was reading it all when i had a bit more time on my hands, and suddenly it started making sense. Your post cleared a few things up for me as well. Thanks to all who helped me on this, its very much appreciated, and Im now a little bit smarter thanks to ya'll. God I love this place :D

btw, how long did it take you guys/gals to learn all this stuff. It really confuses the hell outta me sometimes and I sometimes feel like it isnt going to sink in

18. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Well I started with basic music theory about 23 years ago, and I still have to do a little cypherin' on my fangers every now and then to figure out what I am looking at it. Too many flats and I have to take my shoes off!

Hey X, trash the sig please. It is annoying.

19. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Actually, there is a very easy way to calculate the key when there are flats. You know the lines and spaces on the staff, right? Well, it is always the second to last flat noted in at the beginning of the music. All you have to remember is one flat is the key of F.

Otherwise just look at the second to last flat (from left to right.)

Example, Key of Bb has two flats, last one is Eb, moved back one, that flat rest on Bb! Eb has three. Move back one, the note is Eb!!

With sharps, I always count the fifths, (actually I have memorized them all and you will to before you know it) but counting the ASCENDING fifths was always really easy because it is that two fret, one string interval that you seem to start playing from the first day you pick up a bass. (Descending happens to be the same interval, only backwards, but my brain doesn't work that way)

Chas

20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I agree
    :D