Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

key switchs

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Funkin'_Bassist, Dec 17, 2004.

1. hi Mike :)
    I got sick of "new" ideas on scales .. I made like study on the 6 notes out of the scale ( for a natural scale) .. so now I can play all 12 ..
    I just tried to switch the key n' it sounded sweet .. so all I know is the blues sequence (12 bar blues ? )
    and the only thing I figured out is if am playing on a minor I would switch the relative Major into a minor .. the b3 of the major is the blues note for the minor ( if that makes any sense)
    I Just need to know if there any ideas on switching keys

thx for your time

peace,

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I look at all the notes that are available to me in all kesy in any position on the neck. In that way I can easily switch between keys without having to change position on the neck. I am currently writing a book on the technique that I hope will be complete in January.

This thread may help:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133098

Mike

3. am sorry mike .. but I think you didn't get me
    I need to know any theortical ideas about switching keys .. like from E minor to E mixolydian (F#m) .. or there is no rules for that stuff .. I have to figure them out myself ?

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    There are some "rules" as you say, but after all, it really comes down to what sounds good.

Often times, in classical music, the key goes from the Major to the Relative minor (G major to E minor) this is a common change.

In pop music (Whitney Houston, Barry Manilow, Mariah Carey, etc) you will often find that the key goes up 1/2 step at the end of a tune.

In jazz, there are lots of temporary key changes in tunes. often based around the II-V-I progression. There is also a complete set of changes known as Coltrane Changes where the key changes every few bars up a major 3rd.

Check out this website, it might help:
    http://www.outsideshore.com/primer/primer/ms-primer-5-2.html

Mike