1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Key won't turn - car problem!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by eedre, Sep 14, 2008.

1. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    Okay, I only know a few things about cars... mainly that when I push on the gas pedal, I go fast.

I've been having trouble getting the key to turn in the ignition for awhile and today it simply would not turn as if the steering column was locked. What happened! I've had that problem with a few vehicles - what's the point of that function?

2. I had the same problem in my old car.

Try turning your wheel all the way one way and then try turning the key if one way doesn't work try the other. That's what worked for me anyway

OR you could try pushing in when you try to turn it, some ignitions wont turn or turn hard if you just try to turn it without pushing in.

3. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    Yeah, I tried all those things and somethin isn't right :(

4. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Eedre, what kind of car do you drive?
    Different makes have different ways of "unlocking" the steering wheel. I had to read how to do it on my Toyota in the user's manual.

It's also possible that you have locked the steering wheel, but the key lock mechanism is broken internally. That always sucks.

5. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    2004 Focus ZX3

That's a good idea though, I'll check the manual

6. Try engaging your emergency break? Or compare your key to another for your car if you can to check for breakage.

7. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    I had this problem before, and it turns out that I had a bunch of keys on the ring, causing too much stress on the ignition switch, therefore it didn't turn smoothly after a while. How many keys you got on your ring?

8. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    You sure you didn't grab your wifes keys by mistake??

9. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Put the key in the ignition cylinder and smack the end of the key inwards with the heel of your hand (not real hard as to break anything), and see if it turns.

I've run across a few Focuses with goofy lock cylinders, and a little smack does them good.

10. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    Try to move the gear shift lever if you can,
    if your not able to move it get someone to help
    you rock the car a bit (front to back)sometimes
    the gear shift linkage gets a little stuck..

make sure the front wheels are straight (not turned)

hope that helps

11. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    Oooh, a focus! now I see. Make sure that on the shifter (if auto) that the little boot between the shifter and the consol is COMPLETELY up and against the shifter or else it causes all sorts of key/ignition problems. Ask me how I know!!!

12. It's almost always just the steering column being loaded to one side or another and putting pressure on the lock. Just wiggle the wheel vigorously back and forth while turning the key.

13. my parent's van does that...mine used to in my old car I drove too. I used to do what Pilgrim suggested, wiggle the steering wheel.

14. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I actually know a lot about cars.

Just by looking at its headlights, I can tell you which way a car is going.

(Hedburg ripoff.)