Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Keybo*rd Bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mrpackerguy, Aug 6, 2005.

1. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Heaven forbid, but I'm an old piano player converted to bass guitar and playing bass for the last 26 years. I always thought it would be interesting to play a set of bass on one of those keyboards you strap on like a guitar. Donald Fagan of Steely Dan plays an insturment like that in the Two Against Nature DVD, though obviously he's not playing bass.

Anyone have any familiarty with those? Are they still made?

2. You mean the Keytar the excuse for the keyboard player to step out of the back. Never was very fond of them. They might still be made but they were most popular like 20 eyars ago.

3. I've seen one recently. The keyboardist was playing keys and bass, but he was using a slap bass tone. Overall, even though you have keyboard chops, its not worth it because of the limitedness of expression, unless your keyboards skills far surpass your bass skills. Heck, if you want the vice versa of this situation, check out the chapman stick. Its a keyboard gone bass/guitar. (BTW, no intention of derailing thread but I'm getting one the 20th or 21st. I've already played one and they are nice.)

4. jusplayinmybass

jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
    I believe Roland still makes one. It is only a controller though. you would still have to run a MIDI cable to a module or keyboard. I think it's the AX7. I didn't find it comfortable myself. You are certainly a better board player than I because i can only play bass on keys. So you may like it.

5. One of the local emo bands around here uses one. Very 80s if you ask me.

6. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Yea, the retro thing is something that interests me about it.

7. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    i have to play keyboard bass from time to time and i just use a regular keyboard.i tried to play one of those keytar things years ago but for some reason the angle you hold it at confused me and i spent all my time looking down trying to play the right notes :meh:

8. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I used to play synth bass on an Arp 2600 on a few tunes - it's been a while, though. It did sound good - very fat.

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'm drawing a blank on what Fagen's playing on that DVD(guess I'll have to break it out)...I do recall seeing Chick Corea use a 'synth controller' with a 'neck' on some VHS I had of an early '90s Jacksonville Jazz Fest.

I think I also recall seeing Nathan East use something similar on an Al Jarreau '80s concert tape.

Goin' back to the '70s-
    ...then there's Edgar Winter strapping on a full-sized keyboard(ARP 2600?) in order to 'get out front'. Check him out on the Old Grey Whistle DVD doing "Frankenstein" with Derringer, Hartman, & Ruff.
    I would revisit this DVD but it's out-on-borrow. ;)

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm looking to learn piano to double on synth bass, I've got some experience with the gear and am looking at a Roland SH-101 with the guitar strap extension button and handle. Really a cool little device.

Any recommendations for learning piano other than lessons? I've been trying to teach myself for a while, but can't afford anything besides bartering piano lessons in exchange for bass lessons.