Keyboard amp as a bass monitor?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by philthygeezer, May 10, 2005.

1. philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    What if I were to run a Sansamp BDDI through one of these?

Yorkville 100KW active 115 watts 2 channels. I don't know whether one should run the BDDI through the effects loop or betwwen the bass and the monitor...

Is this a bad idea?
  2. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    The BDDi issue is kinda confusing... Are you running a BDDI just for the monitor? There is no reason why that wouldn't make a good powered monitor. If all you are looking for is a powered wedge then that looks about as good as nything. How or If you use a BDDI is completely up to you, it won't make a lot of difference. Besides, I don't think you are going to find much in the way of "I run that exact setup and here's what I do" kind of responses.

I've used a cheap peavy powered wedge as a live monitor just for the bass rig and it was really nice to be able to fill out the mix for myself and the drummer liked it too.
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    it will probably be fine for a monitor. keyboard amps tend to be very pa-like as they are supposed to be pretty transparent and "full range". depending upon the size of the unit, it may not have the best bass response, and you may need to adjust the bass eq on the amp (i.e., turning the bass down to save the speaker if it can't handle the bass guitar's lowest notes).

i've used some "keyboard amps" in the past and found them to be pretty good for bass. mostly it just depends upon the bass response of the cab, and if the woofers can handle the low end of the bass.
  4. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Are you running the signal to a board / PA system? Is your intention to use the Sansamp as an effect and alter your tone through the house system?

If that is what you are trying to do than I can understand your question. If not then... :confused:
  5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    If you are asking if the amp can take bass, the answer is yes. Keyboard amps are the only amps built to stand more harsh frequencies than bass amps (not inclusive of PA gear). Will it sound good though? I have no clue. Never used a keyboard amp with a bass.