Keyboard-based Power Trio?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Bob Bl., Jul 11, 2005.

1. Bob Bl.

Bob Bl.

May 1, 2003
    I've been toying with putting a rock band together that looks like this:
    - Keyboards
    - Bass
    - Drums

I have a friend who is a talented keyboardist, a good singer, a Hammond M3 afficiondo, and has a nice synth/piano setup to boot. Material would be mix of blues, classic rock, and blue-eyed soul. Covers. Material would be more limited, of course, but lots of good, popular songs come to mind with a bit of thought.

I think it would be a nice change of pace to play with NO guitar player. And I'm finding out that trios are a good thing!

Anyone else out there doing something like this?

2. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    You should try it out and see how it goes.

I've considered hooking up with another bass player who plays keys also(like I do) and we can alternate between the two. I'd still want the guitar player though. In a 4-piece situation that would free up either of us to sing without dealing with an instrument.
  3. Same situation, kinda. I have two bands and one of them has a really good trio of keyboard, bass and drums. We have for some reason (really, we are nice guys!) gone through several flakey guitarists in the past few years and are sort of "in between" again.

Kinda kicking around the idea of saying screw it and going with the three piece lineup. The keyboardist by the way, is freaking amazing - but some songs don't sound right without guitar.
  4. Alex Wing

Alex Wing

Apr 1, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Something interesting to check out might be Mike Watt's "The Secondman's Middle Stand" Bass-Drums-Organ. Not his best work, in my opinion, but it can give you an idea of how the three instruments can work together in a rock setting. Some of it's quite good, and it's very interesting how the organ and bass can alternate between holding down the bottom and doing the melodic lead.