Keyboard bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by gottawalk, Mar 12, 2006.

1. My son dances in a local dance studio and he downloaded a tune from iTunes that they're learning a routine to, and I pulled it up to listen. Donna Summers' "On the Radio".
    The bass part was played on a keyboard bass, and sounded pretty ridiculous! I realize that was the thing in that era, but even during disco, songs sounded a lot better with a REAL bass!:bassist: Sorry; just had to vent.;)
  2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I dunno, I've heard some pretty slamming keyboard bass. Stevie Wonder's left hand is one of my favorite bassists (especially during that incandescent hot streak he was on in the '70s).

To me, bass is bass. Fundamentally, bass is a function. So, in a sense, a keyboard bass is just as "real" a bass as an electric bass guitar. So is a tuba, for that matter.

For my tastes, the problem with a lot of disco wasn't the keyboard bass!;)
  3. I suppose I posted a little in haste. I think it was just this song in particular. Thinking back, I must admit that the first couple of Gino Vannelli albums, ("Storm at Sunup", in particular), had all keyboard bass, and they were killer parts. I guess it's all in the player, not necessarily the instrument. Thanks for reminding me of that.;)
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think keyboard bass can be inovative and different - so to continue the theme - the Donna Summer track with Giorgio Moroder - "I Fell Love" was just so different when it came out and I remember hearing the remixes at clubs and it was very inpsirational! :)