1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Keyboard drums, anyone?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassyBill, Apr 13, 2009.

1. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I'm not sure whether I posted about this before in another thread as my memory ain't what it was. Anyway, I'm sure someone will dig these...

It's not me playing, by the way. I wish it was. :D

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Wow! That's unique! I dig it!

3. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I thought you'd like it. :D

I try to do this myself from time to time, but I'm nowhere near this guy.

So, that's today's practice session sorted. ;)

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i need to try to do something like this on one of my basses with the rmc 13pin synth out. that'd be cool. especially since my dummer has a kat pad and a few other kat related triggers. he could be set up with a bass patch and i could have a drum patch. weeee.

5. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Now that sounds like fun! Am I right in thinking you could get up to a seven piece kit with one of your babies (each string mapped to one drum sound)? Let's see - closed HH, pedal HH, open HH, snare, bass, crash, ride. There's a hell of a lot you could do with that setup, actually. Maybe use one of the double necks to get a few toms in there... ooooh, the possibilities...

I could be totally wrong here, if you could actually map individual notes to drum sounds like a MIDI setup.

I use Jamstix for drums on most of my home doodling, and it's great (although it does take A LOT of time to learn to get the best out of it, it's without doubt the nearest software solution to having a real top class drummer, once you work it all out). But just occasionally it would be nice to play along without the software helping out, and recording a real kit is a bit of a pain (not to mention the fact that my drumming sucks). So, I'd be really interested to get to this guy's standard, it would open up a new dimension for me.

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Very nice! I've never tried that, and now I probably never will. :D

7. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Kinda neat. I wonder if you could get them as touch sensitive to be able to do conga and bongo licks?

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    That was pretty kool.

9. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Just watching again - I think the eighth note triplets about 50 seconds into the first vid are just SO cool... :D

10. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Love the first video, the second video was a little to "Frankenstien" for me.