Keyboard effect from bass- total noob

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Maximumjackson, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Maximumjackson

Maximumjackson

Apr 1, 2017
    Hi all,
    Warning. This is probably some pretty low hanging fruit. I don't use effects other than my sansamp.
    I have a part in a song that needs a fairly short piano/keyboard break, but guess what? I look around the practice pad...no piano player to be found. Damnit!
    I'm looking for the most low cost/easy /quality way for me to be able to produce this sound from my bass.
    I have no experience with MIDI, but if there's a simple setup...I'm game for any suggestions. Something I can setup easily on stage and be able to not create a headache for the sound guy.
    I've also looked at the EH Key9 pedal-but I'm wondering how well it works and if it just sounds too super-70's.
    Suggestions?
    Thanks!

2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

that's exactly what i was going to recommend to you (i've never used it --- can't speak to its efficacy).

i think the midi route is pricey...especially for just one small piano part.

3. The EHX 9 series may present a solution, I have a Mel9 that I have been working with and get satisfying results. Tracking can be a bit of a challenge so perhaps a bit of compression might help if you do not have the most consistent touch.

4. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    How about a small keyboard and play that part on the keyboard? If you can reproduce the piece on your bass (except for the actual sound of course) then you should be able to play it with one hand on a keyboard while holding/muting your neck with the other. I like to use a small 25 key set up (mainly just to record loops).

(I wonder if this will get them complaining over on talkkeys about damn bassists playing keys with their right hand ;) )

5. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    I was just enjoying the EH C9...I have a Mel9 in a Superego loop where it's limitations become assets, but for actual playing the C9 works quite well for many classic organ sounds, the mellow flute is usable too. You can set the amount of vibrato (some) and high end click (usually almost off) which makes it much more useful than the Mel9. I sent the synth9 to a cousin for who plays guitar. I chose the C9 against the B9 but don't know the Key9...piano would seem to have it's own issues of attack vs sustain, no such issue for organ sounds.

6. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    Well my pianist regularly makes jokes about playing my parts with his left hand so I think that it's fair we play their parts with our right.

JACink likes this.
  7. Maximumjackson

Maximumjackson

Apr 1, 2017
    Thanks for all the suggestions.
    Update: I got the EH key9. It's ok. But it still sends the bass signal even when the dry knob is turned down and the wet knob is all the way up. So the resulting sound is a lot closer to a traditional bass synth. Im gonna follow up on the suggestions about samplers and possibly a small keyboard. seems reasonable.
    Thanks.

Driven Crane likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021