1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Keyboard on Bruce Springsteen's "I'm On Fire"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ElectroVibe, Dec 22, 2018.

1. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    What kind of keyboard sound is used on this song?

Music starts at 1:12.

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Sounds like a Oberheim.

ElectroVibe likes this.
  3. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    So that's an analog synth? Can you really tell the brand just by listening or are you just joking?

I was also wondering what the sound "type" is. Does an Oberheim have one general sound? It's really smooth, whereas some synth sounds are more grainy, if that makes sense. For sound type I mean some cheaper practice keyboards will have different names such Strings 1, Strings 2, Bells, Electric Piano, Brass 1, Brass 2, etc.

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    The Oberheim was a brand of synth that players like Lyle Mays, Joe Zawinul, Billy Payne, Roy Bittan etc. started playing towards the end of the 70's, a very thick sounding synth. It was just a guess on my part.

5. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    Anyway, the reason I ask is that before this particular song came out, I was not a big fan of synthesizers. I've been a fan ever since. At the time I was actually more into bands like REM or Tom Petty who used more traditional sounding 1960's instruments.

6. Ghook

Ghook Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Eastern US
    I was pretty resistant to the entire synth era but was impressed at how Springsteen used it on this song. After watching Springsteen on Broadway and reading his bio I'm revisiting his catalog. I was fortunate to watch his rise from start to present. His real contribution may be more along the lines of a Pete Seeger, Woody Guthrie, Bob Dylan rather then simply an iconic Rock and Roll star.