Keyboard players !!!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gman, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    Are all keyboard players whiney little b@tches or just this one ????

For you guys that have more experience with these scrawny little Mamma's boys', how do you deal with 'em ? If you can't play more than 1 instrument, and the song doesn't call for the one you do play, is it asking too much for you not to play this song ?:mad:

Am I out of line, or should the little prick just plan on making a beer run while we're play a song or two? I personally wouldn't mind, but this guy cries like a baby when we talk about doing songs without keys. " What am I gonna do ?"

He is a great player, he just drives me nuts. I think some of the others feel the same way, but it bothers me worst of all.

What do ya think ? Should I just resign myself to the fact that I'm in a keyboard band, or is there a way to work this. Or if it bothers me that bad, I could always find another band I guess.

Any suggestions ?

2. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Keyboardists are often problems when it comes to this issue. Our last keyboardist always wanted a part, and that part ALWAYS SOUNDED THE SAME. That same, annoying pattern/style in every frickin song. Blah. Having a separate keyboard player will present you with that issue, especially if they wre new to playing with a band. That's why my friend (the vocalist) is going to be are keyboardist too (his synth, so he'll play it when needed, unless there's some special circumstance).
  3. Remember what a pain the keyboard player is because....

Eventually you'll find the one in a million that's not a pain in the a**. One of my best friends hooked up with a really cool keyboard player, I asked him "you know what you've got don't you?" he just smirked and said "yup". If he wasn't such a good friend that lived 300 miles away, I'd rip him off for his keyboardist in a heartbeat!
  4. duff_hodges

May 15, 2000
    Suffolk, UK
    It sounds like you have a bit of chip on your shoulder!!!!! Now I was originally a keyboard player so I have to disagree with your comments. Admittedly their are some mouthy $h!t keyboard players out there, but there are still a big marjority who understand what sound work where and best. You must have been jinxed to get all the crap keyboardists!!!lol

Better Luck next time
  5. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    IMO it's totally acceptable for him to be able to compose his own line if there is'nt one already in the song. If he's good like you say he is, then he can more than likely come up with a tasty line to fill up the song a bit more.
  6. Actually, I think many keyboardist feel threatened by the fact that they are easily replaced by other live instruments and musicians with an open mind. Actually I've had no problems with keyboard players I actually seem to click with them more then most other band mates. But then again I was a keyboard player before I was a bassist. I'll try to compromise with mine when the synth tracks a necessary in a song, I'll do the bass line, he'll take the lead and the guitarist stays boring.... So it all works out.

7. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    If dude's complaint is that he has nothing to do when there's no keyboard part for him to play, I say all of you pitch in and get the guy a tambourine or a triangle!

Seriously though, I am thinking about taking on a keyboard player in my new band -- these kinds of threads make me nervous and scared. :bitefingernails:
  8. Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    Every keyboard player I've known has had a huge chip on his/her shoulder because they were classically trained and they "knew better" than anyone who was self taught. They also always stated that anything a guitarist or bassist could do,they could do much better on the keyboard. And I can't tell you how many times I've sat through the whole "I can play ten notes at a time and you can't" speech!!!

I don't get along with keyboardists and will continue to stay away from them!!

P.S. Don't even get me started on DJ's!!!
    That's a whole other thread!!!
  9. ...are those who can play other instruments.

Think about Men at Work's Greg Ham: saxophone, clarinet, and synthesizer.

...or the quiet dude in INXS who plays both guitar and keyboards.

Anyway if a band only wants KB/synths on a few songs...might as well buy one programmable synth and record programmed synth parts. A few bands in Spain take that route: guitar, bass, drums, vocals, and one of the band guys sets up the computer...
  10. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    The keyboard player in the funk band I'm in doesn't whine/bitch if we play something that has no keyboards; he'll play some multi-percussion stuff instead if the song calls for it. If there is nothing for him to do, he just does nothing... it's that simple and he doesn't care/complain/whatever.

Kick that guy in the head next time he whines.
  11. Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    Well, maybe he's not that good !

Problem is, the d#ckhead will play every part in a piano voicing until we tell him "hey, thats organ not piano", then he whines and changes it.

12. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000

ok man i overlooked it on your 1st post, but im not over looking it on this one, you need to quit using vulgarities in your posts. you can get your point across without name callin... ok...thanks for your cooperation.
  13. Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    I apologize. I think if you'll research my posts, you'll find that is not something that I normally do. Something about this topic I guess.

Again, I apologize if I offended anyone.

14. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    It sounds like you need to have a meeting with the other members of the band and see if they feel the same way you do about this guy. If they do then you all need to present to him the requirments of staying in your band. It should not be a dialogue or a conversation, it should be the band telling this guy what is and what is not required of him in order to be a member of the band. Good luck these situations are not fun. I am lucky to be in a band with a keyboardist that is very musical and tasteful in his playing. He has great chops, he doubles on guitar and is great on that as well, he also sings and is more interested in the tunes sounding good than putting on a keyboard seminar. I personally love having a keyboardist, they are hard to find and for alot of styles of music they are not easily replaced. Don't judge all keyboardist by the actions of this person, that would be close minded.
  15. Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thanks KeithPas,

What I'm really starting to think is that I just need to find something else to do.

These guys are all friends, and I was the last one in. He gets on everybody's nerves, but I don't think it'll ever change. They are not a working band, so it's not like I'd be giving up alot. Garage bands are pretty easy to find. They have plans of playing out, but the singer is getting married in a month, and can't even get thru a rehearsal NOW without her calling three times wanting to talk to him.

Man....I'm starting to think maybe I'm the whiner of the bunch.:oops: :oops:

16. Tell the keyboard player to ride a unicycle and spin plates when he's not playing! The lazy jerk should do something while he's not playing.

17. Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    :D :D
  18. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    It sounds to me like you nailed it Gman. This situation does'nt sound like it is worth your energy. and btw if the singers fiance is calling that much during rehearsal you have every right to whine a little.
  19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm with Hategear, but just this once. Tambourine.
  20. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    We had a keyboard player for years in my band, and if there was no keyboard part in the song, he would just play something quiet and tasteful that fit the song, but didn't intrude or change the charactor of the song. The only problem I've had with keyboard players is when their left hand (it plays notes in the same range as bass) intrudes, overpowers or otherwise messes up my bass line. Our keyboard player was good about not doing that. Sadly, he passed away from cancer in August. We couldn't find a keyboard player that could replace him, so we decided to go without.