Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

KEYBOARD SLAP?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by chimp, Jan 14, 2005.

1. chimp

chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    ive seen it done by Doug Wimbish(sp) when the use the tips of thier fingers to slap with kind of like how we type on a keyboard. what is this technique called and does anyone have any advice on how to do it or any talk on this matter?

2. tapping??? :confused:

3. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Sure, Man - do a search on 'Fretboard tapping' or 'Tapping' or 'two-handed tapping'.

Check out the guys who play 'the Chapman Stick' - an instrument designed for tapping ONLY.

There's been lot's of talk about that on this forum.

Joe

4. I think chimp may be referring to the "typewriter" technique, which is a little like slapping with all your fingers. I don't know how Wimbish does it, exactly, but I'm sure someone else does.

5. Yeah, I know people who do that. You have to have a low action, but once you get it set up right, it can have a really cool tone.

It's pretty simple to do, just use the tips of your index and middle finger to slap the strings, like you would do with your thumb.

6. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    Two words. Nuclear Rabbit.

Check out Jean Baudin, guys. There's a video on his website of him playing some Bach in his usual 2-hand tapping style.

www.JeanBaudin.com

7. chimp

chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    i know what tapping is. im asking about the other technique some of these people have been talking about. ive been messing around with it latly and its pretty easy to do once your accuracy is fine but i have 2 problems: 1. i some times get a harmonic when i shouldnt, how can i stop this?
    2. i cant pop! i cant move from that 'slaping' style to a pop quick enough. How can i solve this?

8. #1: Get your finger off the string as fast as possible. Either bounce really quick, or go through (what I'd do). Make sure that you don't brush the string with another part of your finger.

#2: Just practice. See if you can find a position that allows you to finger slap but is closer to yur slap position than what you're using now.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Thank god, I thought this was another one of those threads about Seinfeld. :D

10. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    I slap with my thumb right over my last (24th) fret, and pop just past where the fingerboard ends. I can't play a bass with a pickup too close to the neck. Those get in the way.

I play fingerstyle most of the time, with my thumb on my B string and my fingers between my J pickups. If I'm going for more definition (or almost any time I'm playing the B string), I play over the bridge pickup, and if I want a more rounded bassy tone, I play over the neck pickup (just common sense stuff, here). I always slap/pop in the same position though. Once you decide which positions are most comfortable to you, it's easy to get into the habit of playing in those positions.

The best way (IME) to pick up little gems of technique is to watch someone whose technique you like. When you see/hear something particularly interesting, try to imitate it. Chances are, you will fail miserably at the imitation, but will stumble upon an interesting technique of your own. :)

11. chimp

chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    THANK YOU some one got what i was doing/talking about. i will try different positions my current position aint to bad and i can pop its just not as quickly accessible as i would like i suppose that might come with practise.

12. No problem. You also might try hitting the string with the tip of your finger, just like you do when typing on a keyboard. You'd either hit off center and sort of slide off, or bounce. That might get you a little closer to a good position for both.