Keyboard/Synth players! A little help please.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by sixstringer506, Jun 7, 2005.

1. I recently watched a documentary about Robert Moog and by doing so caught a bad case of Synth gas! A Moog Voyager is well out of my price range :( . I am curiouse about some cheaper alternatives like the Alesis ION or the Korg MS2000B or maybe even the Micro Korg. Does anyone have any experience with any of these instruments? Any input would be appreciated.Thanks.
  2. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Yeah, tell me about it. ;)

I have Arturia's Minimoog V, which is a software emulation, and I think it does a spiffy job of it. Granted, I don't have a real Minimoog around to compare it to, and the last time I played a real Minimoog was some 10 years ago, but I seem to be able to cop the classic Minimoog sounds I've heard over the years. (Plus is doesn't go wildly out of tune like a police siren after being on for 20 minutes like one Mini I played...) I payed about $130 for it and it's satisfying some of my synth joneses... but want an actual hardware synth. There's nothing like having the real thing under your fingers (as opposed to a MIDI keyboard hooked up to a PC.) I've been looking at the Ion and Korg synths too, and from reading various Alesis vs. Korg threads on various synth forums, the general consensus indicates that the Alesis Ion/Micron sounds more genuinely analog than the Korgs, but the Korgs have their own charm (and they look better IMO). One of these days I'll get over to Guitar Center to try 'em out for myself.

I'd love to have a Minimoog Voyager, but maybe if I won the lotto or something. ;)
  3. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I have a moog music dealership (I sell their guitar/bass pedals) and just the other day I was gasing over the Voyager. But even at cost, they're still silly expensive. I can't justify it :(
  4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    You can get a used Roland JV-80 for very cheap on eBay, they're pretty good 'boards IME, the worst I've ever had to do to mine (which I've had for at least ten years) is to replace a keytop. Also the Korg M-1 is a spectacular performance keyboard (it's probably better live than it is in the studio). Both of those have all kinds of "sounds" that are available in the public domain, for downloading or whatever.

If you can be a little more specific about what you're looking for, that might help guide the discussion. Performance-wise, the most useful sounds IMO are the piano sounds and the organ sounds (especially the B-3, which goes over well with "any" crowd). But you might be looking for something different, like horny horns or whatever, so the direction you want to take might help to determine whether an analog or digital board would be better (quick tweaks vs. scrolling through menus, that kind of thing).
  5. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Your minds always on one thing :rollno:

;) :p :D :hyper:
  6. Get a good sampling keyboard, and then download real Moog samples and put it on it. Too bad Hollowsun's free sounds aren't online anymore. They had some great vintage synth stuff.

You could also get someone to mix down some Arturia's Minimoog V (which is a great VSTi, by the way) for you, too.
  7. Thanks guys
    I like the idea of knob tweaking on the fly.Also trying to navigate through a ton of menus could be a drag. Ambient space like sounds are what Im looking to create. Having real piano or organ sounds is not too high on my list.

Could you maybe send me a link to the synth forums you have been to? I also agree with you about the Korgs looks. To me they both seem to be aimed towards the same market and have similar features and price. I guess I have to go to the music shop now and try them out.Darn it ! :)
  8. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I was going to get an Alesis Micron because it's within my price range but after playing a Voyager for a little I got such bad G.A.S that I'm now saving up for a synth that costs 8 times as much :D . The voyager is mindblowing! Even if it's way out of your price range you gotta at least try to afford it because there's no other synth like it on the market and nothing even begins to compair.
  9. keb

Mar 30, 2004
  10. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm over at VS as well, and frankly, I'm in love with the MS2000B. I played one at Sam Ash in NYC and my girlfriend had to drag me away by the neck. Not kidding.

Even though I'm just a hack, I can appreciate a very nice playing and sounding synth.

BTW, I used a DX-7, doesn't even compare.