keyboard with hammond B3 sound

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Captain Black, Nov 6, 2003.

1. does anyone know of a keyboard that has a sound like a hammond b3 organ?
  2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003

Yamaha Motif ES7 -
    excellent B-3 programs.

I test drove one because of the great reviews regarding it's Hammond B-3 samples with the new 1 Gig Memory.

"Nails just about every B-3 -ism on the head, including staccato-triggered percussion."
    -Keyboard Magazine, Nov. 2003.
  3. Modern workstations like the Korg Triton, Yamaha Motif, and Roland Fantom S have fabulous Hammond sounds. But, if you are a purist and must have the real time control of drawbars, chorus, vibrato, Leslie simulation, percussion, and overdrive... there are a number of clones that would blow your mind:

Nord Electro here
    Korg CX3 here
    Roland VK7, VK8 here
    Voce V3, V5 here
    Hammond XK2 here

The clones will fool nearly anoyone in a blind test.

4. I'll take that test! I have never been fooled.

5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    If working with a Cubase plug-in is acceptable to you, check out the Native Instruments B4.

I've played it at the NAMM show, and it's amazing.
  6. Veteran Hammond players have been fooled. :) Even Hammonds are inconsistent from one to the next.

Thanks to modern technology, emulating the Hammond tonewheel organ sound is the easy part... the tough sell is the Leslie (rotary speaker). There are great Leslie simulators (pretending to sound like a rotary through a fixed speaker) available these days. But due to the nature of true audio doppler (which is the essence of the Leslie effect) in a listening environment, there is no indistinguishable substitute for hearing a real rotary speaker.
  7. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    The XK-2 sounds very good, but most of the pros I know like the Korg CX-3 better. It's all about how you work the draw bars (and you really must have a real Leslie) though.

Pete Levin sat in with us once, and used our keyboard player's XK-2 through a Leslie 122. Our guy's a great player mind you, but Pete really knew how to tweak some awesome tones outta the XK. Even Treena wouldn't have been able to tell it wasn't a "B".
  8. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
  9. Kurzweil!! Even synthesizes the B-3 drawbars with slider pots!:D :cool:
  10. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc