1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Keyboardist/sound man wants me to pick one bass to play. Jealousy or does he have a point?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Greg_S, Jan 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. TwinBass

TwinBass

Oct 5, 2007
    Spokane, WA
    Get some Swiss Army knife bass like a EBMM Game Changer...

2. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    you would think he would write down his settings. I'd say practices are open for new basses. but gigs- one or two basses & nothing new. But Don't Be A Smuck

3. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    He's jealous, you're cool.

What do I win?

Greg_S and el_Bajo_Verde like this.
  4. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88

Sep 16, 2013
    Toronto
    I will say......bring 'em all to rehearsal. It's your gear, your time and where the heck else should you play them ?!
    He should be able to dial up a clean sound at rehearsal in about 6 seconds.

willbass44, Greg_S and brbadg like this.
  5. DonBorelli

DonBorelli

Feb 1, 2009
    I think he has a point and spending less time fiddling around with new toys would make you a better player.
    Sorry if you expected to preach to the choir.

6. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    That depends. Is the keyboardist required to dial up the mains and 8 separate monitor mixes in rehearsal? If so, adding a new bass every time would be....painful. It all depends on what is expected of him at rehearsal, which the op hasn't answered yet.

7. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Didn't say YOU did.

8. Acoop

Acoop

Feb 21, 2012
    "with for this outburst is his jealousy of my position in life." ... Really? ... That comment speaks volumes of what you really think is important and it's not the sound of the band. ... Are you sure you want to be in this band? ...

Ikkir, Imaginary Pony and DonBorelli like this.
  9. brbadg

brbadg Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Timonium,Maryland
    I find keyboard players to be a P.I.A. personally.

10. aprod

aprod Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2008
    You have every right to play any and all basses you desire. The keyboard player is a lazy "sound man".

prd004 likes this.
  11. Greg_S

Greg_S Supporting Member

Radial FireFly that has an A/B switch with the ability to modify the the output to be indentical, or near identical.

mcnach and electracoyote like this.
  12. fakeneckplate'65

fakeneckplate'65 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2014
    Columbus, OH
    If using multiple basses is complicating the mix for the band, then it's probably best to use one instrument. I doubt it is though.

I bet he'd never insist that a guitarist play one guitar.

13. I use a fretted bass and a fretless....two different sounds for different songs. But the guitarists do it all the time. If it takes time to switch over, then potentially a problem. I got a good switcher so the exercise is seemless......turn down bass, put down bass, pick up other bass, hit the switcher, turn up the bass.....I'm ready......let's go people...only seconds.
    If you tell me it takes about one minute between switchouts, I would have a problem.

brbadg likes this.
  14. I'm not seeing the issue on stage.

The only way I would get concerned to the point of annoyance is if your different stage basses made big differences to either your gain stage or channel volume at the board. Even some minor tonal differences shouldn't be a big deal.

What's going on at rehearsals?

mcnach and JMacBass65 like this.
  15. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    IMG_5334.JPG

16. I think the keyboard player is out of line for a number of reasons, but also with a serious proviso for what you're bringing to the table.

First, it is up to you to make sure the output level of your different basses is pretty close to equal. The bigger part of slotting into a mix is volume, not EQ.

Then, as for EQ, he shouldn't need to worry so much about that. He shouldn't be heavily EQ'ing your bass signal, and he very definitely should not be going out of his way to make each different bass sound the same out front. That *totally defeats* the purpose of playing different basses, and is disrespectful to your desires and tonal goals! So I have to cry foul on that.

But there is an onus on you to make sure the signal you're sending to the board remains consistent in volume from bass to bass, however you achieve that (setup and pickup height, compression, pre-amp settings, etc). If he then lightly EQs the bass to make its natural tone sound good in the room, and with the drums and keys, then he *shouldn't have to make any changes at all* when you change to a different bass! If it does sound bad at that point, however, that's on you for using a bass that doesn't fit with the band's mix.

17. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    That's 100% the right way to do it.

Stop listening to his complaints.

Greg_S likes this.
  18. phillybass101

phillybass101 Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    IMO play what you want. The purpose of a Sound Man is to do that run sound. You're not the boss of me. If you want to set it and forget it then you're not really doing a job. If you have a problem getting me to sound good improve your skills. Having said that I wouldn't walk in cold not having played that bass with that rig at home and rehearsal to determine a baseline. That would make his job very frustrating. I hardly ever listen to that I want you to play this or that bass. How many of us Bass Players harp on anyone else about what they play? In closing this is just my opinion. Now if the pay or the Gig is RIGHT I will play the bass requested no problem as there would be obvious benefits to do so.

Greg_S and el_Bajo_Verde like this.
  19. The guitar player was the sound guy in my last band. He never complained when I brought at least 2 basses to gigs or rehearsals. He played 3-5 guitars. BUT... we played our respective instruments through one amp. If that's what you're doing, it's no one else's business how many instruments you play.

Greg_S likes this.
  20. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Whether or not you're "right", arguing with the guy who's mixing your band is a one way ticket to not being heard at all. You need to figure out some way to get the both of you on the same page, happy, and cooperating.