Keyboards? Casio, or Yamaha?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Fetch Da bass, Nov 18, 2002.

1. I am looking for a good sounding keyboard at a price around $250. I came across these two: Casio WK 1630/1600 or the Yamaha PSR GX 76. The Yamaha is about $50. cheaper. Does anyone have or use these. I am not a keyboard player, but I am just looking for something to use for extra sounds for my home recording stuff...Thanks.

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Fetch do you record to computer? You might want to consider a mdi controller in keyboard format, then you can use it for anything, any instrument you have a patch for. M-Audio makes a few nice ones.
  3. I don't record on a PC..I do all my recording on a Boss BR-1180 CD....but hey thanks for the info.

4. Important features that you'll want sooner or later:

Full size keys (mini keys are BS)
    61 keys (5 octaves) minimum
    Touch sensitive (responds to dynamics)
    Midi out (for future possibilities)

Don't even consider a keyboard without these features. If you do, you will eventually regret it, even as an idle hobbyist.

If the Casio and Yamaha both have these features, I'd suggest getting the one that sounds best to you.

5. Fetch....

I see that both of your choices have the features I mentioned. Cool!!

6. Thanks plimplizkit..Yep, They both have 76 key and are both touch sensitive + the midi out. how do they compare? I went over GC to try them out, but couldn't decide which one was better...the casio was 50 bucks more and looked more modern..I don't know a thing about keyboards so I don't want to just go out and buy one....I went to Harmony Central reviews but that didn't help.

7. Do either of those boards have a sequencer?

(A sequencer is a device that 'plays' the keyboard for you, after you've told it what notes to play, and uses sounds that you've assigned.)

A sequencer can be handy - you can write a keyboard part, store it, edit if you wish, turn it on in sync with drum machine and pick up your bass - ta-da! You are a 3 pc band (sort of).

Some keyboards have built-in sequencers (like my old Ensoniq ESQ-1), you can use external sequencers, or maybe there's a computer program that does the same things these days. See if either keyboard has the sequencer feature (buy the one that does) or if one of them can utilize an outboard sequencer (or the computer program).

8. Dimp-ziplet.....Yes they do.....The Yamaha has a Six-Track/Five-Song Sequencer...I have decided to go with the Yamaha...It has better sounding sounds and is easier to doesn't look as modern as the Casio, but I don't care.....

9. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    I find that yamaha makes better stuff, the biult in sounds on both of them are going to be real similiar. SO good idea getting the Yamaha.
  10. Good choice...

I've owned 3 pieces of Yamaha gear:
    -a portable keyboard 16 yrs
    -a powered sub 5 yrs
    -a cd player 13 yrs

All have performed extremely well. Yamaha got it goin on.

11. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yamaha are great for pianos. Real pianos, and digital ones. I've got a Yamaha Digital Piano - the P-80, it's really great. A friend of mine has a Yamaha keyboard of the sort you're looking for, I've played it, it seems pretty good, and for a keyboard without weighted keys it plays pretty good. If you're just looking for the sounds for recording, I'd suggest putting the money into a sound module of some kind, you oughta get more for the same price. You can then hook it up to a sequencer, or a MIDI controller keyboard (you can get real cheap ones).