Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Keyboards

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bassplayingfool, May 15, 2005.

1. Hello Im a fellow bass player, but Im thinking of doing a little keys on the side. What are some really good quality keyboards that arent ridiculously expensive. im looking in the $1500 or less range.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Something like the Yamaha P-120 might be OK. I'd check the Yamaha line out at AMS or something. They also have consumer keyboards like the Yamaha DGX 505. It doesn't have the graded hammer keyboard, but it is loaded with over 600 different instruments and other features, including a disk drive and sequencing capabilities. I wouldn't be embarrassed to have it on stage for a local band. It's only about $600.

3. Not an expert on keys, but most these days are MIDI functional and you could hook it up to a digi-sampler so that you can get all kinds of sounds.

Suggest you Google search.

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Graded hammer keyboard? Sorry, I'm by no means a keyboardist, so I have no idea what that means. Is it what others call "weighted keys"?

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Check out the Korg Triton LE's. 61 Key for $999 at sweetwater.com.

Great keyboard, fell in love with it today to be honest.

6. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    I have an 88-key Triton LE, it's my main keyboard. I like the sounds it makes and the ways you can edit everything, but a lot of the functions are very confusing.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yes, more or less.

8. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    The Korg M-1 is still one of the performance keyboards of choice. Killer acoustic and electric piano, and B-3 sounds.

Some of the Roland keyboards aren't bad either. And of course separates are great too, if you're willing to carry around the extra weight.

You can get used M-1's or JV-80's on eBay for a pittance, and they're well worth checking out.

The holy grail is the B-3 sound, which is very difficult to accomplish in the digital high-tech way. Some of the newfangled keys like the Hammond XK series are pretty good in that regard, as are one or two EMU products, and also some of the recent Swedish entries are worth investigating.

The electric and acoustic pianos, and the various organ sounds, are most useful for live performance IMO. It depends on what you want to do - in other words, if you're trying to do horny horns on your keyboard you'll probably need something a little more versatile than a Hammond clone.

On the other hand, the MiniMoog thing has largely gone out of fashion these days, even though there were some real masters in the 70's and 80's (people like Jan Hammer, and David Sancious).