Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

keys of certain songs

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by cassanova, May 24, 2003.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Im tryin to learn a song list right now and time ran out a little sooner than expected. Of the 72 songs that were given to me, I have 5 down and 10 total that Im working on.

A few of the songs are throwin me as far as key. I normally pick up on it. But some songs that I thought were in E are now in Eb. My tuner is saying that Im tuned right, but the strings are very old, so I dunno.

If anyone could tell me the keys of these certain songs Id appriciate it. Ill list the key that Im playing it in so you have an idea of if Im right or 1/2 step off.

Supersticious - Stevie Wonder bE

I wish - Stevie Wonder D# (have intro,1st part of the verses figured out, but could use advice to help speed things up on what key the other part of the riff is one the verses. Where he sings "even though we sometimes wouldnt give a dang, we were happy with the joy that they would bring" is the part im referring to.

2. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    Superstition is in Eb...FREQUENTLY bands will play it in E though.
    I wish is in Eb minor(6 flats)it does'nt change key,the B section riff starts on Bb.

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Here's the way I always played it.
    The notes to the part you asked about is:
    Bb C D Bb, C D Eb E, FEF G Ab G Ab A

The second time it is:
    Bb C D Bb, C D Eb E, F G Ab A Bb, BbBbBb(these last three are back to the lower Bb).
    Back to the main riff.

I don't have my bass in my hand at the moment, but I think that is right.

Edit: I had put B for those last four notes, It is supposed to be Bb.

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Thanks.

Since you know it, Ill dbl check my work with you really fast. For the main riff Im playing: Eb Gb A Bb C Db D, back to Eb.

Then what you just said to play.

You helped me out alot Turock, THanks!!

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Eb Gb Ab Bb, Ab C Db D,
    Eb Gb Ab Bb, Ab C Db D

Later on in some places in the song the riff climbs higher
    Eb Gb Ab Bb, Ab C Db D,
    Eb Gb Ab Bb, Ab C Db D
    This is the same riff except for that these notes keep climbing higher until you get to the second
    [Ab C Db D], it is the same as the first one and leads you back to the start of the riff. I'm pretty sure all that is right, but I really haven't played that song in quite a while. Try it and see what you think.

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Oh yeah, that lyric is:
    Even though we sometimes would not get a thing
    We were happy with the joy the day would bring

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I shut the mp3 off and tried it as you suggested, then played it the way I was. I think yours is right and mine just a bit off. Thanks!

Im not a singer I dont need to know the lyrics 100% correctly. But thanks for the correction. Im glad you knew what part I was talking about.

BTW, Ive never heard this or 1/2 - 3/4 the songs Im tryin to learn before. Im kinda thinkin I bit off more than I can chew.

8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Cass, see the post I edited.

9. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yup, Turock nailed it on all counts - bass line & lyrics.

Both those songs are in Eb Minor. Stevie liked that key, and B Major too.

Oh, and it might be worth pointing out that in "I Wish", all the way through that riff alternates octaves each time.

You got:

Eb Gb Ab Bb Ab C Db D
    Eb Gb Ab Bb Ab C Db D

The first time, the Eb goes down the Gb, the second time it goes up to the Gb, so the Gb Ab Bb Ab are an octave higher than it was the first time (though the C Db D are in the same octave).

For this reason, it is a 2-bar riff, not a 1-bar riff.

10. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Turock, I kinda figured you meant Bb when you were typing it all out.

11. You can find a pretty accurate transcription of "I Wish" here:
    http://www.e-bass.ch.vu/

I know it's nice to learn the whole thing by ear but, when you have a bunch of songs to learn all at once, every little bit helps.;)

12. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I honestly dont care how I learn them. Ear, Sheet, Music, someone telling me how their played. As long as I learn it.

Thanks for the link.

13. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I finally got through it mistake free. I tell ya that songs a damn workout.

Outta curiosity what position did you play it in? I was doing 2nd for some reason, sounded a lil smoother but lacked econmy of movement than 1st position offered.

14. I play the verse section in the second position and the bridge section in the fifth position. As I recall that transcription I posted was in a different position.

I like playing the verse in the second position so when I go to the higher part (like the intro of the song) I can slide up to the fourth position and through in some rhythmic fills.

15. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    That's a handy little site - there are one two songs there that are on my 'have a look at' list... I might check it out and see if it can save me some time.

Wulf

16. Yeah, somebody here at TalkBass actually posted that link sometime back. It's come in handy for me, more than once, since.:)