Key's Player now Bass Player

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by The Marphy, Mar 21, 2004.

1. The Marphy

The Marphy

Mar 19, 2004
    Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have been playing key's for almost 20 years in Queensland, Australia.

Last year, I was asked to join a band with a good friend mine (another key's player).

After, month's and year's of searching we couldn't find a bass player. So I undertook the job and thus made the band five piece.

It is the greatest expression I could ever have. Bass playing is AOK.

Paul Whelan
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I would imagine that bass playing is a blast for a keyboardist. There are so many jamming keyboard basslines that I'm sure you alreay have the concept down. Furthermore, I would wager that a good keyboardist comes to the bass with a ton more harmonic knowledge than the average neophyte.
  3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Welcome! :D

With fretless basses, you might find even more expression, and then there are the numerous techniques, to add to that... Takes time, but is fun! You will certainly enjoy it!
  4. The Marphy

The Marphy

Mar 19, 2004
    :) Dear Dr Cheese,

Thank you for your kind words, yes bass playing is a blast for an ex-keys player. I am translating all my keys knowledge onto the bass (and the band is in awe). Harmonic knowledge is a shoe in, however it is still the interpretation that counts.

My regimen of practice, now in my fourth week. Involves playing "outside" the band's current musical stance. Hence, I can draw in bass lines from Genesis, Bruce Hornsby, Huey Lewis, Split Enz and they like it.

Once again, thank you for your kind words.