1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Khan Audio VTDI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MattB88, Mar 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MattB88

MattB88 Gold Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2016
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: LowEnd basses, DR Strings, Warm Audio, Shaw Audio
    I'm in love with my Khan VTDI. For those that haven't heard of it. Obeid Khan is the designer and he designed the original Ampeg SVTDI. This DI recreates that circuit and he improved it not having the restriction of Ampeg doing it via his own company. I decided to do a quick video talking about it and playing it to another very common and wonderful DI in it's own right.

2. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Good review. Great sounding DIs. I have an original SVT-DI that I got a while back on reverb and it needed some work, Obeid was kind enough to share a few tips on some issues he knew they had with the DIs to get it working right. Super helpful and willing to chat about his work.

As far as I have it settled in my head (maybe I'm off here), the phase issue you mentioned is because the circuit is a single plate triode stage and a cathode follower stage. The plate output phase inverts, the cathode follower doesn't. With the original SVT-DI you had the option of adding the tube stage into the thru and the DI signals. I've had issues in the studio where running something like my B25 where there are two inverting stages in the preamp the mic signal ended up being out of phase with the DI signal, other amps I haven't had that problem. Easy enough to fix at the board when recording. I would assume you could do that on a live mixing console as well, but having the option to add the tube stage and get things easily in phase (while adding a little extra warmth up front) is a neat feature.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    MattB88 likes this.
  3. MattB88

MattB88 Gold Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2016
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: LowEnd basses, DR Strings, Warm Audio, Shaw Audio
    That makes sense. Yes in the studio and live it's as simple as inverting the phase and then time align after in post for as tight as possible phase cohesion. Obeid has been very willing and helpful with me as well. I had a few questions and he was a gem of a guy about it.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021