Kick Ass Hard Shell Cases For Dirt Cheap!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Pics below. First off, I do not work for the case maker or seller nor benefit from this in anyway, shape or form. Just passing along a great deal I found to my fellow TBers!

I ordered a new Warwick Rockcase (univeral, but suits P's, J's and other similar body styles, like my G&L great). Man, I cannot believe the quality of this thing for $49 (Ebay Link )! It is 5 layers of wood covered by NICE tolex, leather covered handle. It has 4 heavy duty latches, 2 of which are locking and have the push bottons and the latch pops up very firmly and abruptly! Very cool. My G&L L-2500 fits in the case PERFECTLY and snugly with only millimeters to spare on either side of the bass at the widest part. Would also fit a P or Jazz to a T!

Four large, very solid hinges and four metal ball style feet on the bottom of the case AND the back/underside of the case (for standing the case up or laying it down). Nice black velvet interior and nice comparment with door for strap, extra batteries, pics, etc. Looks just like a G&G (old Fender cases and an $80 upgrade option, over the standard HSC for U.S. G&L basses) with the leather trim and stiching on the ends on the outside. Looks and feels heavy duty, not cheap.

Certainly a good alternative to a standard molded case! I bought it at an auction but you can get it right from their site at Cost $59 from their site ($49 on Ebay from them if no bids have been placed). As soon as I won and paid, they sent me a receipt, left me positive feedback and then shipped it immediatly and sent me the tracking number all without me bugging them once! Killer place, killer service, killer case!!! Again, just trying to hook up my fellow TBers with a deal! Posting pics now...
  2. Quadzilla

Pics of the Warwick Rockcase (with my L-2500 inside).

3. Man I wonder of that case was out-sourced to G and G. It looks so close.
  4. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I have the same case, except I got it locally and at a good price as well. Sturdy and nicely balanced when the bass is in it. I use it for my Jazz.

5. Looks great.... I'll have to look into one for my bass... :bassist:
  6. Quadzilla

:confused: Scroll up and all your questions will be answered oooor don't bother and just have another bong hit. :p ;) :D
  7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    From the pic, it looks as though your bass is going to slide and inch or two back and forth between the bottom and the headstock. Not good for the headstock if it gets whacked forward.
  8. Rockgurl

Dec 17, 2004
    CT, USA
    Personally I would go for a Gator case...they're virtually indestructible. I have 2 and they're awesome. They are as strong as a flight case but not as heavy, and have flight case type locks. They are made from molded military grade Polyethylene and can withstand most things. Granted, they're a little more expensive at around $100 but it's the only thing I'd trust my Warwick Thumb in.

Gator ATA Flight Cases

9. Sorry, At first the only post my crappy computer loaded was the one with the pictures, and then most of those pictures did'nt even fully downloaded,.. that's why I corrected myself after refreshing the page twice... Then I realized that there was a whole post before hand...

Don't worry no bong hit's today (Well, :D at least not yet lol j/k)
  10. Winemule

Winemule Guest

Feb 27, 2005
    While we're on the subject: Can anybody recommend a decent airline case for a J-bass that doesn't cost the earth?
  11. Quadzilla

NICE case but these Gator flight cases of yours are going for more like $125 online (that's 150% more cost that my case). Second, a lot of us don't fly around the country or tour a lot. Playing local typically does not require such as heavy duty case, plus I want a case that is of reasonable weight (glight cases are pretty heavy, this one may be lighter than most but i know it's not as light as mine).

No offense intended, just trying to give the other TBer's a link to a really nice case for low bucks. Most lower cost cases only have 2 or 3 medium quality latches and hinges where as this one has 4 pretty heavy duty (but not flight quality) latches and 4 heavy hinges as well, plus metal balls on bottom and back. The 5-ply wood sides are nice and stiff too. Most molded cases don't hold up well to abuse (the Gator may be different though).

As for the bass shifting forward in the case, I guess it could happen. When the lid is close, it does put a slight squeeze on my bass to help prevent shifting. You really need a custom case with costom molded foam to fit your bass to totally prevent this (usually big bucks).

Anyway, hope this helps some of you. :D :D
  12. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Would one of those cases hold a Brice Z6 well without much sliding around?
  13. Particle Man

Particle Man

Aug 24, 2004
    Actually if you dig around the progearwarehouse site a little, you'll find they've got Gator cases at $69.99. Its got the dimensions listed, if anyone's curious.
    Gator case here
  14. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Anyone interested in excellent road cases and great prices i would highly recommend this eBay seller who's inventory can be found here

The best quality road cases I've ever seen, and the prices are unbelievable. Great people to deal with, low shipping costs too.

The J Bass case is $199.
  15. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Rondo Music Cases I have a Rondo Case. $49.00 without the e-bay crap and a shipping based on address. These cases are really pretty good too. I have one for my acoustic as well.[​IMG] ;)
  16. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    as for cheap... what do y'all think about the SKB Freedom line of hard shell cases?
  17. Rockgurl

Dec 17, 2004
    CT, USA
    No, honestly...that was a great bargain. Thanks for sharing. :D I was just adding to the choices, as I find wood cases heavier. I have to say though, that the Gator case is half the weight of normal flight cases, and I use it for local gigs too. I only got mine for $89 on Musicians Friend...they often have sales.

Winemule, if you're looking for a cheap airline-friendly case then I suggest you look at the link above for the's is made specifically for that purpose.
  18. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I really like the SKB cases until you break off the first button. They are useless from then on. I have 3 of them on my road used basses. They pretty much only lasted about 6 or 8 months until the first button/foot broke off. Then you cannot set the case on it's edge. :bawl:
  19. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Sorry about that. I guess I have not bought a case in awhile. Mine must be the older style SKB-44 case. It looks like the newer ones do not use the little metal buttons for feet any longer. The Freedom cases are the "formed" cases. My guitarist has one for his Strat. He likes it.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Very Nice, great price too!.Thanks :)