"Kick Drum" Note

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Bryhey, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Bryhey

Mar 23, 2002
    Ft. Myers, FL
    Mike Watt talks about it when on the topic of drum/bass interaction...what is it?

How would I go about playing it?

Not sure where this would go....move if needed.

2. If you play the bass note at the same time as the kick drum's struck, it will amplify the effect. Sometimes you might want to only play the time the bass drum hits, or not, it depends on how big your band is and what your role is. Though it is generally a good idea to accent the notes that correspond to the kick drum. One way to achieve this (at least the way I do it) is to watch the kick drum from where you stand, everytime it vibrates you play a note.
    Hope this helps
  3. SKB

SKB Guest

what "bass note" is the one that best matches the kick drum?
  4. It all depends on the drummer's setup! I've played with guys that fit very well with a G and D, Other dudes that fit with E and B. Just sit there with the drummer, and have him play a steady beat. Play notes until it fits. Warning! Must find drummer that can play a steady beat! :)
  5. LifeSpitter

LifeSpitter Guest

Apr 6, 2002
    Bass Heaven
    Its totally song specific and groove specific. You can achieve different feels by "accenting" the root note or maybe a passing not. Or you can get some cool syncopated grooves goin on if you match slaps and pops with kicks and snares....Play around with it and see what you get. If you get a feel you like then keep it.
  6. geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification
    Check out flea's work on blood sugar sex magik for an excellent example of kick/bass interaction. I spent my first two years of playing trying to get "that sound" untill i realized it was Flea PLUS Chad Smith's kick. :rolleyes:
  7. crud19

Sep 26, 2001
    The biggest problem I have encountered in this quest is actually getting my drummer to *listen* to me. A lot of drummers are used to playing off the guitars, when they need to be structuring their beats around the bassist. If you can get your drummer to take what you're playing into account, and the two of you can start playing consistent parts that work off of each other, then you're well on your way. After a year or so of working together and listening to each other, my drummer and I are frighteningly tight sometimes. (Sometimes I still have to pull him away from those darn guitars, though.)
  8. LifeSpitter

LifeSpitter Guest

Apr 6, 2002
    Bass Heaven
    That is what i want....i want to freak myself out i guess.

9. nikofthehill

Jul 30, 2001
    san jose, CA
    forget drummers....buy your own kick, and play it at the same time you play your bass. i've tried this (with a borrowed kick drum) and it works pretty well. it also helps sometimes with keeping awkward time sigs (7/4 etc)
  10. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    If you want another good example, check out [K]now F[orever] by Mudvayne. Yes, weird names, but still good bass drum and bass guitar interaction none-the-less.