Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kickback extension cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassteban, Apr 23, 2005.

1. There must be some way to hook two cabs(including the 'internal' speaker)up to the single 8 ohm speaker jack on a Hartke Kickback- without setting something on fire, :eek: , I mean, & ideally producing more volume.
    OTOH, maybe I need sleep. Comments/snide remarks?

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    A friend of mine has a kickback 15 combo and the speaker is 6 ohms! yes you read right, 6 ohms. I would be scared to add anything to that combo! :eek:

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Maybe, maybe not. If he measured the voice coil DCR at 6 ohms that would be about right for an 8 ohm impedance driver. Impedance and resistance aren't the same thing.

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    No, the speaker actually say's 6 ohms on the back!

5. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    My Kickback 12 says the same thing - on a sticker inside the rear port. I've been wondering about this as well.

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    My buddy called Hartke and was told that the speaker is indeed a 6 ohm speaker. he also wanted to add an extra cab to get it's full power, now if that combo is rated at 125w @ 8 ohms you will only get 80-90w max! adding any other cab will drop it below the threshold :scowl: . He cut his losses and bought something else. :(

7. I won't likely do anything along these lines, but I have 8x5 1/2" aluminum-cone drivers I got years ago to replace the rotten originals in a Bose 901 I used to use as a high-end cab on top of a Sunn(solid-state)Collesium 300/Peavey 2x15(nice run-on).
    Anyway, the drivers don't fit the Bose & I've just been sitting on them forever. I sometimes imagine a mini-4x5 1/2" cab matching the size & shape of the Kickback- lying on it's side w/the mini4x on top.
    Like I said, I was in need of sleep.