"Kickback" style combo amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lync, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Lately, I am finding that we are getting booked in places where the stage is pretty small and my head+6x10 setup is blowing right by me.

I would like a kickback-type amp (with a 15) to use in these venues so I can hear myself without blowing out the club (not that there's really anything wrong with that! :D )

Can anyone add to this list of these types of amps or add experience with this type?

Hartke Kickback 15 (of course)
    GK Backline 15
    GK 400, 700, or 1001 15
    Ampeg BA115
    Fender Bassman 150

I have a kickback 10 that I use with my upright which I like, but want an amp with a 15 for the rock band.
  2. I just bought one of these brand new.

I like it alot. Nice compact combo w/pretty good sound at all volumes. I just boiught this for around the house, and for a band I play in in Denver once in a while (60 miles away). I love not having to lug my 3 piece mesa roadcase rig around. I'm not a technical gearhead but I'll do my best to describe it. 5 way built in tone switch, onboard rca inputs, xlr line out, 2, 3-4" ports in the rear, hi-frequency tweeter, and of course the rear bottom corners are cut like the 8X10 cabs thus the "kickback", but its only 100w. There were more expensive models w/onboard tuner, more wattage, but they weren't the "kickback" design. I just got what I needed. I can turn the gain and volume to 10 and the sound is still clean and clear. I used it last weekend and played w/a boogie 4X12 and full drums. I think I went to 6 and it was still plenty loud. If your playing soft to moderate music, it would be perfect. I play oldschool hardcore/punkrock and it still hangs in there.

I traded a Mesa 2X15 roadready (that I bought new) almost straight across for it. Lost my ass on the deal, but am happy w/my Ampeg BA115. Highly recommended!
  3. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    I also own two B100r's (had a wild hair that it would be a cool stack at one time-it wasn't volume-wise).

I may trade one towards the BA115. If it sounds close to the B100R, it is a winner. I also heard a GK Backline 115 recently and thought it sounded great...
  4. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I recently bought a GK Backline 112 (12” speaker) 100 watts. The amp works well and the kickback design is great. I use it at rehearsals and I can hear myself over two loud guitar player but it’s not the tone I would use playing out. I just checked out the Mesa Boogie walkabout Scout combo amp and it is unbelievable. I know I’m mixing apples and oranges here the GK price is about 279.00 and the Mesa is around 1200.00. I think the Mesa could double as a gigging amp as well. The Mesa is 300 watt into one 4 ohm 12” speaker and weight is about 50 lbs.
  5. Wow cool! never seen one. but 1200? ouch.

the ampeg was about 470 I believe.
  6. jazzblade

Jun 21, 2005
    Northern Cal
    I found that two places in town would do the Ampeg BA115 for around $400 to $425 to match other shop/web deals. Just a thought. Sounds great. Nice tone. Weighs like 65 pounds though.
  7. go with any of these

GK 400, 700, or 1001 15
  8. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I think a GK 400RB or 700RB is likely your best bet for readily available 1x15" combos. I was very impressed with one I heard in a pretty big room in N.Y.C. a couple of months ago.

But the Genz Benz ML200-115T looks pretty nice too. It doesn't have a full tilt back cabinet anymore, but a small handle that folds down and lifts the front a couple of inches. The older models, which I've seen quite a bit on eBay, have a tilt back cabinet design.
  9. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Yes, I am interested in the tilt-back design only for this application.

So Genz Benz (older models)-another one to add to the list.
  10. In the MusiciansFriend mag, there is an ad for a wedge you can put under a combo to make it a kickback.

P.S. The Fender Bassman is a 12" speaker.

*edit* Here are links.

Deluxe Amp Stand
  11. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    I've seen that. I wonder if it gives you the same angle as the kickback amps?

Well, even though the Bassman 150 is a 12", I would consider that since I used to own a Bassman 400 and dug the tone.
  12. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    SWR Super Redhead kicked back on the front cover;)

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    The Scout is the schiznit!!!! A removable 300 watt head that can power either a 12" or 15" driver in a "docking station". Pure Mesa tone.

I LOVE Mesa Boogie's so I was gonna get one, but the cost is crazy so I bought a GrooveBass.....very similar and I had $$ left over for other goodies :D
  14. sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Peavey Bam 2x10

Not a 15" of course but just as deep sounding and a kick ass combo to boot.
  15. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Why not just buy a 12" or 2x10" cabinet that has the ability to kick back and just use the same head? That way you can stack it on top of the 610 when you aren't in the smaller clubs and blow out those stages.