Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

kickbox?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Peter Squire, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Anyone here into kickboxing?

I been training for about 8 months now. Twas really, really hard at first.

Only lately has it started to become easier. I'm a bit old for this, but it keeps me way fit!!
    I train with a guy who only just missed out on being part of the Olympic team Australia at Athens. He is awesome! He can do stuff that is (IMHO) physically improbable.

I'm asking because I like being fit and wanna know how other tb'ers use their time to improve fitness???

:D

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I consider(d) doing it, but I'm very afraid to damage my hands.

3. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Until I messed up my foot I was taking Krav Maga classes with an instructor who was on two pro kickboxing teams earlier in his life. Can't wait to get this cast off so I can back to class.

4. Yeah, bummer! Bout a month ago I got a 10k plate dropped on my back whilst in the gym by some dick newb. Was out for about three weeks - it drove me up the wall not to be able to train!!!!!

Mate, hope your recovery is as speedy and correct as mine. Injury sucks :scowl:

5. That's cool. These days I stick to 3 weight circuits in 30 minutes followed by a 1 mile swim 3 times a week. It keeps the 59 year old body functioning.

I lived in Colorado Springs in the 70s and 80s and lifted with some of the US Olympic team. One of them coached young kids in boxing on the side. I went to one of his matches and saw the first boxing match for a 12 year old kid named Skipper Kelp. He knocked his opponent out in about 30 seconds. After the match the coach told me that Skipper had been kickboxing for 4 years so it really wasn't a fair match. A few years later I turned on the Seoul Olympics and there was Skipper winning a Gold Medal.

A similar sport to try if you have an opportunity is Capoeira from Brasil. It is astounding. Even more astounding is that the African slaves were able to convince their Portuguese masters that they were only dancing!