Kicked it with a tasty groove

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by ldiezman, Nov 23, 2001.

1. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Ok so 2 saturdays ago my band was playing a gig. My other two band mates and I go to different schools.. so I am about and hour away from them. they are at one college i'm at another.. but we do get more gigs this way. anyway. we had a gig near my college and as I was working on some music, I decided one of my songs needed a guitar part (my band Is piano, bass, and drums).. there was a freshman guitar player down the hall who i've become good friends with so I asked him if he wanted to play. of course he said yes.. and after he learned the song. we set off to play our gig... well on the first song no one could hear him b/c of the sound guy.. really pissed us off.. the second time he played was on a song I wrote.. and well.. he completely blew the roof off the place.. it was so good and so fast that I just started laughing while I was singing.. then I forgot my bass line and just started playing roots... but I didn't mess up... SO needless to say we got a standing ovation... just a huge 5 minute bombardment of screams and hands.. it was great.. afterwards I talked to the piano player and he was like "i don't think Rob (the guitar player) is what we are looking for". The piano player is just mad because he doesn't want anyone to steal his thunder... but it was alot of fun..
  2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Im imagining that you are all against the pianist beacuse you want the guitarist in? Well if thats the case....

...If your pianist doesnt want the guitar player in there, and the guitar player IS good, just ask the pianist how far he wants to get in the band, and then say if the guitarist comes in then you can go alot further together as a band!:D

But then if the guitarist doesnt want to come in, thats a whole new story...:D
  3. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Your pianist is probably insecure about his position in the band, if I were you I would talk to him and try to find out why he doesn´t want the guitarist in.

As Kirbywrx pointed out, the band could probably go a whole lot further with a talented guitarist in.
  4. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    so we talked about it... and that led to him getting very defensive and then he brought out his ego... dang. could have done with out that. the whole conversation he was elusive to the point.. which was where does he want the band to go... The drummer (who might I add one of the best Rock and Roll drummers I have ever played with. he does rythem changes like its no ones business) and I are on the same page. we want to continue playing together but we don't really want to deal with the pianist anymore. So after our next 2 booked shows this weekend, we will be no more.. But the guitarist and I have talked and he wants to start up with somethin new.. so i look forward to it