1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Kicked Off the Train for Talking...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, May 18, 2011.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
  2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Reverse-engineer a phone into a short-range static transmitter and sell it on late night cable TV as the 'Yapper-Zapper'?

3. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Colorado
    Good for amtrak. People are so oblivious sometimes.

4. I'm impressed. She went 16 hours straight? I don't know many people with that kind of stamina!

They should lock her in a room with a looped recording of someone with a whiny voice talking while she tries to sleep. I'm sure she'd 'understand' pretty quickly.

5. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
  6. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Perhaps her last comment heard-while exiting the train was: "...the rules, and common courtesy don't apply to me."

7. A few years ago I had a small problem in my Barber shop with customers making/recieving calls whilst in the cutting chair, despite a notice asking them not to. Not at all uncommon for a 10 minute conversation to take place, and a perfect example disrespect for others.

This was not a problem for me if they were the sole customer but for other customers if their was a queue.

Solution:- after speaking to neighboring shops, who it turns out had the same problem, I installed a blocking device that affectively gave us a dead zone covering 4 shops. This extended over a period of a year or so to where it coverd about 18 shops. No need for any confrontation, no need for the Police. Plus by turning the device off service can be restored for emergency use. Another plus for me, as the shopkeeper, was that calls from sales reps fell from an average of 15 per day to about 2 per week.

An example of abuse it and you´ll lose it (of which there should be more).

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Good for her! I don't understand why folks need to talk so damn much! People like her and all those who are on their cell while driving!! What the hell is so important you need to talk and drive?!?! Also, correct me if I'm wrong but headsets and Bluetooth car setups have been around for years now, right? So why are those who talk and drive still putting the phone up to their ears?? I just don't get it!

9. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    16 hours of it can get reeeeal annoying...as can cell phone use in obvious areas where there should be quiet (library, movie theater, etc) but why is it that folks get worked up over someone talking on a cell phone in public anyway? How is it any different than a person carrying on a mundane "in person" conversation with another? I'm talking about while waiting in line somewhere, in a doctor's waiting room etc. I don't get it

10. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts

Pure excellent. And DWBass, I totally agree.

11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Off topic: Are you part Guanche? If so, can you speak the whistling language? Just curious.:)

12. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    I bet there was actually no-one on the other end of that phone neither :)

13. AnchorHoy

AnchorHoy

Dec 29, 2008
    New Jersey
    Yes Indeedy! = Help Is Available

The only real problem for those of us who live in the US is that jamming a public radio communications frequency is illegal, to the tune of an $11,000 fine plus a year in jail :ninja:

14. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Eh, a GPS jammer that you can only put in your car? Of what use is *that* ?

15. Actium

Actium

Jan 15, 2011
    16 hours? Impressive.

I love/hate cellphones. The hate comes from how any time I see somebody driving horribly it's almost guaranteed the driver has a phone in their ear.

16. I frequently take Amtrak between Philadelphia and Washington DC. The quiet car is AWESOME!!! It only takes one moron to yap away for the 2.5 hours or so to make it pure torture. I can't imagine 16 hours...

The conductors are pretty rigorous about behavior on Amtrak (being quiet in the quiet car, sitting properly in a seat vs. sprawling in the aisle, etc.).

Good for them.

17. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Love it. I'd like to see this happen more

18. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    The only one that sticks in my mind was a trip back from London by train. The carriage was pretty full already before a lady came in and sat at a window table where 3 other folk were sat. Then for the next 3 hours, she took to the phone for long and elevated discussions about 'blue sky thinking' and that she had meetings with PQ at.....for 3 hours solid. I could see everyone thought it was funny at first, but then they got worried after an hour of these announcements, it was a strange little scene. She was in a world of her own and made sure everyone knew about it, because they shoulda.

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I know the day is coming, and I fear it, when cell phone use will be allowed on airplanes during flight. For now, it is pretty much the only place you can go anymore to get away from them.

-Mike

20. Headphones and shooting muffs overtop take care of this priblem nicely.