Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kickin' it Old School... Not

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Did you know the Sugarhill gang had more than one song...

Yeah, well, uh, they are all the same thing. I forced myself to listen to about 90% of it, just to say that I did. I obviously didn't get through all of it. Every single song they just talked about rockin' the party, and why the ladies love them (they rock the party), waving their your hands in the air in some irresponsible fashion. The only funny thing (well...) uhm, nevermind, the funniest thing was when the guy is rapping about his friends mom making lousy food. That's classic.

I don't know why I'm posting this, I don't know what I want from this. I figured I'd like them because I like old school rap NWA, Run DMC, Beastie Boys, etc.

Oh yeah, what does it mean to make someones fingers pop? Because 5 out of 9 songs were talking about making someones fingers pop.

2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Recordings.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I figured since this was about bands/a genre not a specific recording...

*sigh* oh well.

4. rkatapt

rkatapt

Jun 7, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Snapping your fingers...............

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I figured

On to my next question, I heard a song by Mr. Too $hort and he said he'd make "your toes pop." I can't snap my toes, what does that mean.

(this is now the I'm a dork who doesn't get rap terminology thread)

6. rkatapt

rkatapt

Jun 7, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    You know when you're giving it to a gurl real good and her toes start curling so much they pop. :)

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Sadly, that's what I thought that meant too.

Why can't Too $hort write a nice love song, or a ditty about kitties who hatch out of eggs like chicks, except when they come out they aren't messy, they are all cute and furry.

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Because then he wouldn't be a "playa." And to succeed in rap you have to either be "hard" or a "playa." From my own independent research I've surmised that those who are "hard" are the ones that claim to have been shot/shot at with something called a "gat" and those who are "playas" are ones who do not claim to have been shot at and seem to have less experience with said "gat." Then there are those who pretend to be hard and pretend they will shoot at you but are really just former middle class radio DJ's from Atlanta who maybe got shot at during a paintball game once. Yes, the image thing has really become quite ludicrous...no pun intended.

You must watch out for both the "hard" emcees and the "playas" on the mic because both pose threats. The "hard" emcees will come at you with dey gats and go ratatat tat. While the "playas" on the mic will rhyme so fast dey make you run outta gas and den dey take ya hoe. Or at least that is the claim. I'll end here with an actual quote from an actual rapper, the one who may have been shot in a paintball game at some point:

"I try to make good albums as well as dope singles. The kind of music that people blast in their rides'."

Well said, my friend, well said.

brad cook

9. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    Brad, that was the funniest post I read all day, yo. :)

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'd rather hear about rockin' parties than smacking b*tches! Besides, Doug Wimbish is playing his '75 Jazz on those records, and that alone is worth the listen. :bassist:

11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Not sure how the Beasties fighting for their right to party is on a higher intellectual plane than the Sugar Hill Gang rapping about bad cooking.

You know, some music is just about making you feel good.

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Say, which ammendment is that "right to party" one anyway?
    I always forget.

brad cook

13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Patience, that's a second term amendment. :)

14. Wasn't Wimbish the guy who replaced Muzz Skillings in Living Colour?

asks the guy who's far too lazy to look that up...

15. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I read "Yes Yes Y'all: Oral History of Hip-Hop", turns out there was a lot of resentment towards the Sugarhill Gang when they finally broke it big. A lot of people were peeved because there was a wealth talented crews who were all trying to make it in some form; then these three no-name MCs come together in a formulated group and released a single that was like a pale imitation of the culture emerging from the Bronx. Recorded with no DJ and "no style".

At the same time though, a lot of people said that was the point at which hip-hop really began to take off. Funny how things work out.

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

THAT'S DOUG?!?!?!?!?!?!

(I'll be checking my liner notes when I get home. :ninja: )

I agree, smackin' bitches is bad mmkay. But the rapping was all very dopey. Same rapping rhythm over and over again.

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Yes. Doug is one of my heros... oops, I gotta go add someone to my list of influences in my profile.

18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    This is the REAL story: Big Bank Hank didn't have the rhymes to record that record, so he went to Grandmaster Kaz from the Cold Crush 4, and Kaz gave him his rhymes to use with the promise that Hank would take care of him on the backend. Well, Hank didn't keep his word, and that's why true hip hop heads like myself and others hate Hank. The funny thing is, that wasn't the first rap record I'd heard on the radio. "King Tim the 3rd" by Fatback Band (Brooklyn Rocks!!!) was. They both came out the same year.

19. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Yes they got the break first but they had an inside track. They recorded on Sugarhill records which was own by Slyvia Robinson of Stang Records. Master "G" of the sugarhill gang I believe is Sylvia's son! She saw the oportunity to get rich from the rap game and put her son out there first. She was already a powerhouse in the recording indestry (sp) and the record got massive airplay while other rap songs (alot totaling 12 to 15 minutes long) got no rythym. Labelmates Grandmaster Flash and the furious five actually had records out before they did on independent labels. A lot of other considered "underground" records where out at that time but could only be purchased in Harlem or the Bronx N.Y.
    These particular tunes got zero airplay!

Hiphop and rap was born out of gang culture in the early to mid 70's when dancing became the new way to settle disagreements on the street. D.J.'s followed with heavy cut up and scatched beats to keep the party live. rap groups began to rock the party and a whole new culture was started. When the power's that be began to allow it's existance over the media outlets they say that was the start. We had been doin it for years before anyone recorded it and it got any play time on the radio.

Someone here mention "Kaz", well he was from an organization known as Zulu Nation (with Affrika Bambata) out of the Bronx N.Y. True hiphop pioneers!

20. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    You could make the same statement about ANY kind of new musical form that goes mainstream. It never matters who was first or best, all that matters is who was first with a hit record.