1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Kid committed suicide at a local middle school

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by pocketgroove, Mar 21, 2013.

1. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

Jun 28, 2010
    Detroit
    I'm reeling, I don't know what to do with myself. The boy was only 13, the same age as my little sister. He took a gun to school and shot himself in the bathroom. I went to that school when I was younger. The shock is unbelievable...you hear stories on the news all the time, but this has impacted me like nothing else. How does one move on from something like this?

2. His pain was much over what he could bear!!! ... al least he was not selfish and took other innocents with him ... here happened with a boy who suffered -Mental retardation- lost his mom and jumped from the 5th floor of a mall ... terrible!
    God rest his soul

Il suo dolore era molto più di quello che poteva sopportare! ... al minimo non era egoista e ha preso altri innocenti con lui ... qui è successo con un ragazzo che ha sofferto-Ritardo mentale-ha perso la sua mamma e saltò dal 5 ° piano di un centro commerciale ... terribile!
    Pace all'anima sua

3. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    May his soul find peace. May his family find a way to heal from this tragedy.

4. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough

Sep 30, 2012
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Talk to your little sister. Tell her how you feel. About the incident and about her.

Tell her you love her. Be there for her

5. So unfortunate, but things like this are becoming much more frequent. I'll just echo Eric's sentiment, as there's nothing to really say to a tragedy like this.

6. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I will add this...

Talk to your kids every single day and listen (really listen) to their stories about their friends and the events of their day. Let them know that they have an open line of communicaiton with you when they need one. Pry a little and find out about the challenges they are dealing with and the things that they worry about. Be a guide, be a confidant, and (sometimes) just be a friend. The teenage years are rough for eveyone in some way. Don't let your kids feel isolated and alone.

7. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Situations such as this definitely come as a shock.
    When it comes to suicide it helps in moving on knowing that that persons suffering has ended.
    A friend of mine, not a close one, but someone that I had known since kindergarten hung himself in his garage about 7 or 8 months after high school had ended.
    This happened a day or two after another friend of mine and myself had filmed an art school project in his garage.
    We were all shocked, no one even knew he was depressed or was contemplating such an act.

If you need to talk, feel free to PM me.

8. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Really?

9. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Can't begain to think how I would react to the news if that was my son. You see them off to school then this?
    I did a paper years ago on suicide and there were many who survived an attempt a few who even survived more than one attempt who latter recovered and received help. Most said at that point in their lives there was no hope so they reacted, many of them also said that since they survived they had gotten past the darkenss that drove them there to see it was only a phase or issue they needed to seak help over but did not. The people I wrote about on blessed to survive. I wonder how many people like this boy if they only would of got the help they needed could of pushed thru got help, lived and had a good life afterall?

10. You disagree?

11. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    I don't have an opinion either way; I haven't seen any studies on the topic recently. What makes you say that suicide rates are increasing?

12. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Sorry to hear this. Does your little sister go to that school?

13. Probably cyber bullying for starters.

Kids don't quite have the problem solving or compromising skills yet. Quite often, adults haven't developed these skills to pass on, either.

Very few people will actually stop a bully, too. Quite frankly, most will simply join in.

14. My little brother who was 18 died in a car accident 2 years ago... fresh out of army basic... one thing that helped me learn was to appreciate the family and true friends in my life. It took a death of the person I was closest to to really figure that out. Unfortunately.

15. and BTW suicides aren't 'increasing', however media attention has increased on all gun deaths for reasons of gun control.

16. Avoiding polytics at all cost, I think it's just to polarize us and keep feeding us bits and pieces of a story as they get info. With my thought process developed by the science departments of high school and college, I'm apt to say that both extremes are wrong. Extremists and zealots rarely have enough objectivity to identify roots of problems. Without being able to identify roots, it's hard to develop solid solutions. Although the extremist/zealot type doesn't exactly possess good problem solving skills, either.

That being said, if you have 'em, keep them locked up. There's simply no reason not to and they have safes that are lightning fast if it's necessary.

17. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough

Sep 30, 2012
    Portland, Oregon USA
  18. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    statistically, there is a rise in suicide rates about this time of the year.

As far as what you can do: let yourself feel sorrow, grief, etc. it's what you're supposed to do when bad stuff happens. Nothing wrong with feeling bad. and talk to your sister. sounds like the kid was in a lot of pain and he didn't know how to deal with it all. show her that there are healthy ways to deal with pain.

19. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Why are you so impacted by this if you didn't even know the kid? Tons of kids die every day all over the world.

What's far more disturbing than suicide is that so many people, including kids, are suffering from extreme depression every day of their lives. To me, that's far worse than a kid killing himself. The kid is either with God now, or if you don't believe in that, the kid's consciousness no longer exists. Either way his suffering is over.