Kid-proof bass rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vroc38, Jan 17, 2006.

1. vroc38

vroc38 Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2006
    The drummer in my band runs a drum studio that teaches a "Rock 101" class for kids. They take young bassists, drummers, geetards, and singers, form little bands, teach them a song or two, and let them put on a show where they can rock out for thier friends and families.

They have a little Trace Elliot head and 210 cab that has not been able to take the punishment. Part of the problem is that the amp is underpowered and being pushed to its limits to compete with the drum kit, and part of the problem is that the kids don't know what they're doing most of the time.

So, he needs a new rig. What he needs is something simple enough for the kids to operate, powerful enough to not be overworked, fairly indestructible, and reasonably priced. But there's another angle - the rig would be stored in our rehearsal space, so if the cab is decent, I could use it rather than humping my cab back and forth.

Any suggestions? I may try to talk him into an Ampeg SVT3PRO that I want to sell, so that should be figured into any cab suggestions.
  2. BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    I think a Peavey Firebass might meet all those criteria.
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, peavey warranties are actually pretty darn good. so, if it does go the way of the wildebeast, at least you know you're covered.
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Geetards. That's a good one. I gotta use that.
  5. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    That spells Peavy to me.
  6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Peavey and Avatar, or Ashdown and Avatar.
  7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Besides Peavey, scope out a few Hartke 3500's.

8. When I read the thread title I thought you meant kid-proof in the sense like the top of a medicine bottle. :meh:

I would recommend an ampeg 8x10... they will never reach the power on button :)

On a more serious note... My neighbour has an ampeg guitar head which requires a key to turn it on like a cars ignition. I didnt even know that ampeg guitar heads existed?!
  9. K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    A big old Fat peavey Combo amp.

Not much simpler than that, and I dare you to try and kill it!
  10. Agreed. A Combo 300 could hold up to an army of little groms & be plenty loud. The previously mentioned Hartke 3500 would be a good idea. Better yet, a Hartke HA3000. The tone controls are simple and you wouldn't have to worry about bent/broken EQ sliders. Pair that with a Peavey cab (BW 15 or 1516), both used for very low dough and your drummer will have a really good "School of Rock" rig.
  11. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    i gotta agree with the peavey. i still have mine (although i don't use it anymore) and its a pretty darn loud 130W. decent low end, and enough headroom to keep up with a young drummer. cheap too.
  12. I would have to say Yorkville, or Peavey, in that order.