Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kid ruins million $ painting!!!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Mar 1, 2006.

1. DETROIT - A 12-year-old visitor to the Detroit Institute of Arts stuck a wad of gum to a $1.5 million painting, leaving a stain the size of a quarter, officials say.

The boy was part of a school group from Holly that visited the museum on Friday, officials say. They say he took a piece of Wrigley's Extra Polar Ice gum out of his mouth and stuck it on Helen Frankenthaler's "The Bay," an abstract painting from 1963.

The museum acquired the work in 1965 and says it is worth about $1.5 million.

The gum stuck to the painting's lower left corner and did not adhere to the fiber of the canvas, officials told the Detroit Free Press. But it left a chemical residue about the size of a quarter, said Becky Hart, assistant curator of contemporary art.

The museum's conservation department is researching the chemicals in the gum to decide which solvent to use to clean it. The museum hopes to make the repair in two weeks and will keep "The Bay" on display in the meantime, she said.

"Our expectation is that the painting is going to be fine," Hart said.

Holly Academy director Julie Kildee said the boy had been suspended from the charter school and says his parents also have disciplined him.

"Even though we give very strict guidelines on proper behavior and we hold students to high standards, he is only 12 and I don't think he understood the ramifications of what he did before it happened, but he certainly understands the severity of it now," said Kildee.

-ryan-

2. Butthead; hey Beavis, what did you bring back from the trip? *pulls out patch cut out from museum painting* I got a giant boob.

Beavis; *pulls out patch of plain pink canvas* this...................it's a BUTT.

3. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    That painting is worth 1.5 million dollars but it looks like a 7 year old painted it in less then 10 minuts.

I don't get abstract paintings.

4. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Whaoo!!! Look out Leonardo De Vinci, you have some competition........

[​IMG]

Worth 1.5 million my arse.

5. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    Good ol' Detroit!

and its mayor of all mayors The Pimp-patrick

Maybe he'll claim the insurance and buy larger ear-rings

" Dont Kill him....Send him to detroit....Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!"

:bag:

-Kentucky Fried Movie- all from writers that were born here too!

6. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I think The Scream was recovered. and call me crazy but I will not hesitate to show my kid (if i ever have one) the back of my hand were he ever to do something like that. It's disgusting, I hope he gets adequately punished... he was ONLY 12 and didn't understand the ramifications.... when I was 12... well I knew enough not to touch paintings in a museum let alone stick gum on them... dufus.

7. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    yea.. the kid needs a good ass kicking.

8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I 'Googled' a bit and it looks like "The Scream" has not been recovered. It was stolen once before and recovered, but not this time.

What is probably happening: Whom ever took it has probably had it copied it a few times and sold them as 'originals'. Since few would admit to owning a stolen national treasure, a thief could do this several times and not be found out.

The museum DID NOT insure the painting.

9. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    What is ample punishment for ruining something worth 1.5 million?

10. This is what happens when a society deams is morally "wrong" to smack your kids. We need some good ol' fashioned hand to butt whoopins!!!

-ryan-

11. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA

Death by Kung Fuqua.

12. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    death by The Qintar... shoot, string him up by his ankles and hang him in a dark room for a year or so. or actually make him pay it off through community work, all 1.5 million

13. reruns of the best show ever.....

Walker... Texas Ranger

-ryan-

14. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    You gotta be careful with that, though. That might just entice the kid to roundhouse kick a painting the next time around.

15. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    The should make him eat a master case of that gum! :D

16. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    thats kinda funny.

17. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Make him work it off until the museum is repayed? Lets see minimum wage... 40 hours a week...

18. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
  19. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hey, Picasso drew this when he was 12
    [​IMG]

He got bored with realism early on. He would often change styles as soon as he mastered them. Many people don't even bother trying realism as it doesn't interest them. A lot of people don't understand abstract paintings because they think they need to somehow relate to representational paintings. They don't. They don't often reference off of things you can relate to, so if you don't know how to look at them, they often won't make sense.

When you learn how to see them, which includes knowing about the artist's era, their influences, their other work, and what they tried to accomplish, then you learn how to appreciate them. Abstract and abstract representational paintings from the early to mid-20th century are the to bebop. The reason why Ashlee Simpson and the Backstreet boys as well as painters like Thomas Kincaid are so popular is because they take no work to "get"; people don't understand a lot of jazz and abstract are because they don't take the time to learn to understand it.

20. If I had a kid who had the guts to do this I'd take him out for pizza. Anybody who can freak out so many people by harmlessly touching a small piece of gum to a dirty piece of paper/canvas/whatever is my hero.