kidney stones!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Feb 6, 2003.

1. as some of you know, lately I've been having extremely terrible stomach aches. Anyways, tuesday, my problems seem to have exploded x50. So we rush to the emergency room (which had an over 100 person waiting list) and i had to wait several hours in extreme pain before they get around to me. Apparently I've got giant kidney stones in my left kidney, and a small one in my right...all of which are too big to pass (except for the small one on the right). I also have a urine infection. Total I was there 9 hours....didn't get home til 2 am. I can't describe how terrible that day was. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

I see a urologist monday. As far now I'm hopped on codeine and hope for the best.

its hard to understand the levity of kidney stones unless you've gone through them yourself.
  2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Kidney stones are just,,, very painful, i'm sorry to hear that Jr. A guy i knew in school passed just a small one and he was in a stall, all of the sudden we here the most horrifieing scream ever, and everyone in the bath room stops, and looks at the stall. my cusion goes "Jeez, man, you ok? i know sometimes it's hard to get out,, but my GOD!" Then we find out the guys passed a stone right dang.

If you do pass one, they cut as the go, and then, after that, you have to use the bathroom, and it stings with incredible pain.

Kindey stones are NOT funny.
  3. I ended up in the emergency room last summer with one. The doctor told me that women who have had both kidney stones and childbirth say the kidney stones were worse. Personally I find that hard to believe, but it did take my right off my feet. They had our cops and firefighters in my office checking me out. They told me to have my wife take me to the emergency room right away, which I didn't do. Later that night it got much worse and away we went. Bad, bad night.

The doctor told me that if you drink a lot of caffinated soda, you can increase your chances of having them occur. Man I sure do miss Mountain Dew:( .

Good luck!
  4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Huh. i thought thats what HELPED them NOT to form!:confused:
  5. Well she specifically told me that they increase your chances of getting them. I'd hate to think I've been missing Mountain Dew all this time for nothing. At least there is still beer.
  6. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    The worst part of kidney stones is not knowing what they are. After you know where the pain is coming from, it's easier to deal with. When they "come out", it doesn't hurt any more than they do in the kidney. The best way is first piss of the morning. Quick and easy. The big ones suck, I've had a couple lasered out of my ureter. That was not a fun weekend. Sorry to hear about your ordeal Jake. My first encounter with the stones was around midnight. I wonder if they wait 'til nighttime when they know that the emergency room will be full. If you want to talk, Jake, pm me or catch me on AIM.

Chris A.:rolleyes: :(
  7. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Did you mean severity?

The only time I've seen a kidney stone as being funny was on Seinfeld.
  8. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I myself have passed kidney stones three times. The first time I got a pain in my lower back that just got worse and worse. No matter what I did the pain got worse. when I got to the hospital about a half hour later I could not lift my arms and my entire body had shut down. I passed out from the pain and when I woke up I was told I had kidney stones. When you have stones you drink WATER, up to 4 quarts a day when necessary.
  9. I currently have one in my left kidney that is literally the size of a 9-volt battery and shaped like a triangle. I go into surgery Monday to have it removed. needless to say, I'm on VERY strong pain pills.
  10. they say stones are worse than childbirth. i went natural in childbirth. oh the pain. if it worse than that than i opt for childbirth anytime. hope you both do well. good luck in surgery psycho. and good luck to you also jr. hope you both feel better soon. i remember my step, who is this big burly macho guy laying across the bed screaming in pain. he gets stones often. i pray to never have them. :(
  11. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    except for that one Seinfeld episiode :D

ps: get well soon Jake!! :)
  12. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    passed one myself had four others removed via lazer beam... not fun, no sir, not fun at all. i feel your pain and it hurts... :(
  13. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    This is why I drink lots of water. All the time. I'm going to go have some now. Hope you feel better, JR.
  14. I've had kidney stones twice. Both times I felt certain that I was going to die, the pain was so extreme.

In both cases the only thing that saved my butt was demerol (sp?).:cool:

There can be many reasons for stones, but my doctor told me to stay away from foods with a lot of calcium which includes milk products and salt and to drink a lot of water. Since my last stone three years ago I have put myself on a reduced calcium diet. I hope it continues to work.

Nasty, nasty problem.
  15. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    another stones victim here. i have a condition called "kidney sponge".

i expect to have stones yearly.

first time, i thought i had to take a dump like no other.

then, the pain.

went to emergency. i was howling.

they gave me demerol first...i just laughed LOUDLY in the nurse's face when she said demerol.

they quickly switched to morphine.

not a fun way to cop some opiates.

16. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I too got a kidney stone last year. Abosolutely horrible! I woke up about 3-4 hours earlier than normal, with a terrible back pain. The woman was hogging the bed, and I was partially hanging off the side, I assumed this was the problem, told her to move and tried to go back to sleep.....nothing doing there. I soon felt like I had to #2 also, my stomach hurt sooooo bad. I managed to somehow fall back asleep for an hour or so, I woke up in even worse pain, I threw up several times from the pain, and told the wife it was time to go to the hospital. Luckily, the same day I passed the stone, and honestly didn't feel anything passing it....but I was also on a healthy dose of torodol. I REALLY hope I don't ever have to go through this again, but at 28, I am sure I will. $1500 or so in emergency room fees, with no insurance at the time hurt too.
  17. deadweeds

Oct 28, 2002
    Harbor Beach,MI
    been there and hopefully won't have to do it again....get well soon!!:)
  18. As far as I know, kidney stones are more or less deposits of calcium oxalate. Calcium is found most commonly in milk, and oxalate in green leafy vegetables. Calcium oxalate dissolves in water, but only very slowly.

Reduce calcium ion and oxalate ion concentrations, increase the flow of solvent (water), and the precipitation should reverse, in theory. Hence the low milk, no leafy vegetables (which contain oxalate) and lots of water.
  19. Not all kidney stones are mineral based. Mine is composed of crystallized uric acid, a condition similar to gout, and rare among kidney stone types. It's also not necessarily dietetic, because my body is attempting to eliminate the excess acid, it's just crystallizng before it can be passed.

My doctor tells me that after the surgery pulverizes the stone and it is passed, he will give me medicine to change the pH of my urine and prevent further stone development. He told me that a diet change would not accomplish this.
  20. I knew uric acid crystallised in joints and suchlike (gout), but I didn't know it happened in the kidneys.

Diet won't fix it, hmm? Bummer.