1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Kids drumsets.... recommendations?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Marial, Jun 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    My son, who is a couple of months past two, is showing signs of being really into the drums. I suspect most kids this age find them fascinating anyway, but a couple of things are giving me the idea it could be more than a passing interest. Anyhow, I'm poking around various places, including Amazon, and I have no idea what to choose. There's a local shop just down the street so I'm planning on walking over there to ask, but I thought I'd ask here too since I know there are a few bassist/drummers here as well as music educators. Needless to say, I don't want to spend much since it could be a fleeting enthusiasm, but on the off chance it's real I want to get something that isn't total garbage that he could play for a couple of years. He's BIG for his age, he's easily the size of a three year old and could probably pass for four.

My wife is NOT pleased, but I think she's resigned to it. :D

Tbone76 and Gaolee like this.
  2. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

Don't let you babies grow up to be drummers. Just saying. :rollno:

Marial likes this.
  3. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Bwahahahahahahaaaaa! Oh, oh. I'm probably in the doghouse down the street...

This one might still be too big:
    DRUM!Magazine

Tbone76 likes this.
  4. Marial

Apr 8, 2011
    She's getting over it, mostly. ;)

That looks like a great kit, but I can't see a price. Given the probable quality, it's probably a little too much to start off with. If he really takes to it, that could be his second set, though.

The thing about being a drummer is that, if you're good, you will never be without a gig...

Gaolee likes this.
  5. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    Pulse 3-Piece Deluxe Junior Drum Set

At 3 years old, it's not worth spending too much for drums, but the drums from Toys-r-us aren't good.

Marial likes this.
  6. JFOC

JFOC

Oct 23, 2010
    new hampShire
    I bought a used Premier Artist birch set for $200 from guitar center used site(240 delivered to my door from florida). Had kick, 2 rack toms & a floor tom. My 4 year old niece loves to come over n play it, even though she has to jump off the stool to reach the kick. Since its a starter set I would look at a used beginner or mid tier set, ideally if she ends up abandoning it you can get back most if not all of what you spent.

7. Marial

Apr 8, 2011
    I've thought about that, but I really want something that fits him now. The Pulse kit looks pretty close to what I'm thinking would work.

Edited to add: I don't have any need for a kit that fits me, I'm useless when it comes to drums. I'm more into weird percussion anyway.

8. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    My advice is get electronic drums.

Theyre very durable, require no maintenence and are easier to play than traditional drums.

The best part is, they can be played either into an amp or with headphones, which means you and the wife won't hear the sound except for the click of the sticks.

I have the Roland TD40 set myself and olay them all the time. They also make a couple of small portable kits that would work for children. They go for about $500 new but I've seen them go used for less than half that.

MonetBass and BadJazz like this.
  9. Marial

Apr 8, 2011
    Woof, too much money to spend on something I'm not sure he's going to stick with. I have a detached garage where he can bash to his heart's content.

10. BadJazz

BadJazz Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon
    +4. Aside from the sonic palette and volume control, electric drums can be positioned in ways acoustic drums cannot. The kit can grow up with the kid.

11. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Get a beginner set that's small enough for him to play comfortably. Then if it looks like he's going to stick with it, get an electronic set. Our son took lessons for over a year and we got him a Yamaha set. Those are fun because they have so many different kits in the module, plus you can plug in headphones and a music player and play along with songs.

12. Marial

Apr 8, 2011
    This is partially what I'm thinking. I think a decent, but not expensive, appropriately-sized acoustic kit is the way to start, and if he sticks with it then an electronic kit or, perhaps, the Questlove kit, later on.

13. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

An electronic kit for a small child doesn't seem like that great an idea to me. The visceral thrill of making LOTS OF NOISE!!!!! is the whole point of a drum kit, at least when you are little. If you can't make noise by bashing things with sticks, what's the point?

If the whole thing sticks, then he might be able to graduate from a little kid kit to a Breakbeats kit like the one I have and just play it forever.

Marial likes this.
  14. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    I understand why you wouldn't want an electronic kit for your child to start with and can't argue with your reasoning.

But i will say that for my own use the best part about an e-kit is that i can play quietly through headphones while playing along with recorded music for practice, but i can also run it through my home sound system and crank the volume to 11 with the bass set to house shaking levels.

15. Marial

Apr 8, 2011
    If I were even remotely inclined towards drums myself I'd probably go electronic, but I'm not. ;)

16. Skeezix

Skeezix

Sep 28, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Pawn shops. Buy a used set that some other parent paid for.
    Haggle on the price. They take up a lot of room in the pawn
    shop, so they are happy to see them go.

JFOC likes this.