Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kids starting the Double Bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Ace Cleft, Oct 25, 2003.

1. Ace Cleft

Ace Cleft

Oct 25, 2003
    I have a 10 year old who wants to follow in his brother's footsteps and someday play in the high school jazz band. His instrument of choice, of course, is the string bass. He wants to start now which is fine with me, but I'm concerned that the instrument is just too darn big for him. He's almost 5 feet tall and is bigger than most 4th graders. Is that big enough? Do they make smaller basses that he could handle? We're headed to the music store this week but I would like to hear some opinions from people who don't have a vested interest in renting or selling me an instrument.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Welcome to Talk Bass! Yes there are a few dealers and such that frequent here... but we have strict "No Spamming" rules.

I'm just purchasing my first 'Real' bass after 23 years of playing toy basses (electric fretted and fretless)... so take my advice with a few grains of salt ;)

I believe a 5 foot tall 10 year old could learn correct techniques on a 1/2 size upright. Maybe a 1/4... but I think if he's serious and able to grow into a 1/2 it would take him much further then the 1/4.

Good Luck!

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I had a 5' tall female student who did just fine on a 3/4. I think that once you find the teacher that you want him to study with, he or she will be able to help you with the correct bass size.

4. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Exactly

5. Bump!

Just a question: I'm not quite sure how tall I am (about 5 foot, maybe smaller), and would probably be better off with a smaller bass, like a 1/2 bass - does the pitch of the instrument change? If it doesn't, can someone explain to me why that's so?

Excuse my typing errors; haven't been typing in English for a while...!