Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kids these days have no respect...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by McHaven, Mar 29, 2005.

1. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    This post makes me sound so old but jeez...these kids.
    I went to a show over the weekend at a local coffee house that usually books about 3-5 bands a night. usually crappy "emo" music with no lyrics and overdistorted guitar.
    This night was strange. A metal band comes out and I see the bassist coming out with a lovely Rickenbacker, jetglo. it looks beautiful from where i'm standing. So i come up the front of the stage to get a look at this guy playing thinking "He's got this ric and a nice rig, i sure hope he can play" but then they start....and my dreams are dashed. This guy is playing his Ric with a pick, a big fat METAL pick. the finish is scratched to hell along where he is playing and i swear to god you could take off all the strings besides E and he could play the entire song in 1st position. after their set, i went back to the loading area and talked to this guys. turns out this ric is from 1977, and he's just borrowing it from his dad.... I told this guy he is brutally raping his bass but he just shrugs it off.
    Oh and upon closer inspection, he strung it as a 5 string, with a low B... i don't even want to know what he did to it.

Next band comes out, i see this bassist carrying a Yamaha and it is the standard P/J config. most basses start with. I'm walking out of the door disgusted by the night's bass playing and then these guys start and OH MY GOD! this guy is amazing! this band is playing straight up rock and roll and they sound great. The song leads into a slap solo(i know most of you say slap is overdone, but in Houston, I never hear it) and it comes off perfectly. Funny part is, the guitarist breaks some strings which causes him to yell out "BASS SOLO" when he runs off to restring. The bass really starts shining now, playing blues and jazz riffs, throwing in some slap and pop and just carrying the show along with the drummer for a good 5 minutes while the guitarist restrings....

goes to show, you can suck even if you have good equipment, and blow people away with crap

2. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Sorta like hearing a bad player with great tone or a great player with bad tone thing.

:)

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I had the same thing happen to me. Played at a local acoustic show. I was asked to provide an amp for all the bands. No problem. So before the show I'm playing some stuff and a kid with long hair and a stingray (black/black/maple) comes up to me and asks about my amp. Now, you can tell everything about a bassist by the strings he uses... I ask "hey, what strings do you use?".. His reply "I don't know, I haven't changed them since I bought the bass". Ouch, wrong answer. Now, I still expected him to be somewhat decent because he didn't wear his bass at his knee, and unpluged it looked like he could play. His band's set starts.. It's horrid horrid music... The kid can't sing, and he can't play. Worst off, he starts headbanging... at an acoustic gig. Dubyou tee eff, mate?

4. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    the guy with the Ric in my story...his band did coordinated headbanging/hairtwirling...scary as hell

5. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Most of the bas players i see today are downright pathetic. i believe they chose bass just to be in the band and they couldn't play guitar well enough. no wonder people think that bass playing is easy. quite simply, i have been playing for 9 months,and i like to listen to anything i can't do yet or anything that sounds UNBELIEVABLY awesome eg victor wooten, marcus miller, mike elizondo. the majority of the bass players i hear are really quite pathetic. i now what you are gettin at guys!!! ;)

EDIT: Sorry guys, i used very harsh words and made a big generalisation (part of bieng a newbie is maturing) :) . i meant that the attitudes of many bass players dissapoints me sometimes (many times?). I am actually finding that the more bass players i come to know, they are actually pretty cool guys with the same issues that i have.

6. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    One of my bands makes extra money by providing the PA at all our gigs--we had one band that showed up 45 minutes late and waited another 20 for their singer. When said singer shows up, the first words out of his mouth to me were, "None of that reverb s%#t on my voice! I sing CLEAN!" Not a hello, not," Sorry I'm late," nothing but that, and not even politely said. On top of that, when another band was introducing its members, this guy loudly and with much show attracts attention by stapling HIS member with the bar's stapler. Some people's kids, ya know?

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    To which I would have inquired, "Do you want that without plate reverb, or hall?"

8. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    The really silly part is that at the time, we didn't HAVE any reverb units. We used the money from that show to get a used Roland 3030, though. Never appreciated the irony 'til now.

9. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Sounds like me when I started, except I couldn't even play guitar.

Gotta start somewhere.

10. what made me laugh at a gig in december was a bassist repeatedly doing the "left hand over the neck" thing that Billy Sheehan does to get harmonics (and admits is "showboat"), only this guy was playing barely more than the open E string:p

11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Now that would have made me laugh to.

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm like a scud: offensive, inaccurate, and rarely where I'm wanted, and look terrible doing it.

But, I have nice gear.

13. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    These stories gave me a huge boost of confidence in my playing.. Too bad for the dad and the ric though. :-(

14. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Not only do I have to help my bandmates learn new songs, I have to show them and teach them the guitar parts. This involves sometimes transposing keys with open strings to fretted positions, concise parts.. Otherwise they'd just bar-chord their way through it.

15. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    Did ya catch the name of this group? I'm in Houston as well and might like to check them out.

16. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    ugh, ruining basses should be a crime.

i hate when guitar players break strings AND DONT HAVE A BACK UP GUITAR ALREADY IN TUNE. hate it.

17. Hey, sometimes you gotta make do with what you've got. Not everyone is in a position to own a back-up instrument(though they are great to have) but hey, in this case a bass solo came out of it. Sounds like a good group of musicians to me if they can just pull that off completly unprepared, just lacking some funds.

18. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I went to see a friend's band's first gig (said friend's a bass player and his tone was ON that night) but there was a Murphy's Law moment when the guitarist broke a string and had to restring. Unfortunately, the band had trouble holding the crowd until a friend of theirs came to the mic and did some comedy. The singer even said beforehand, "man, this sucks... and unfortunately I'm not funny."

I know if I were in a situation where a guitarist broke a string, I'd totally grab the mic and start doing my repertoire of voices (voice impersonations is a hobby of mine; I can do about 60 really well.)

The moral of the story- make sure someone in the band, or a friend of the band at a gig, can do a form of non-musical entertainment for those Murphy's Law moments. Comedy usually works...unless it's a death metal show or something.

As for the gear thing, yeah, it's all too common. I believe the old saying goes that "you know it's good reggae when the bassist's MIM P-bass sounds better than your $10, 000 rig."

Ever since I was a teen first learning, I was somehow always humble and often didn't play out because I didn't think I was good enough. Nowadays, when I go to see bands play, I see sooo many places where the bassist could insert some cool fills, some harmonics, or an odd slap here and there to accentuate the songs. Granted I still think I'm a mediocre bassist at best (people tell me I'm good, but I still don't think I'm good *enough*,) but when I see active gigging bassists out there who are appreciably worse than I am (both in terms of playing and stage presence; I like to ham it up on stage,) it motivates me to want to try and get out there and ply my craft the best I can. It's kinda the "if they can do it, so can I!" mentality.

Still, I have yet to meet a bassist who was mean and/or nasty to me. Whenever I mention I'm a bassist too, it's like "brethren!"

OTOH I fail to see what the big deal is about playing a Ric with a pick. I thought the Ric's picktone was one of its strong suits. Two words: Chris Squire.

19. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    it was some crappy metal band playing Java Jazz a few weeks ago...didn't catch the name, i do know it wasn't spelled properly like replacing an E with an I...maybe impathy or something

EDIT: whoop didn't realize you meant the GOOD band, no i didn't catch their name at all, it was a 3 piece, guitar drums and bass. i talked to their bassist after the show though, he was pretty cool

20. ahhh, that poor rick. im 16, and i cant even fathom playing with a pick on a rick. actually, playing with a pick in general confounds me. but then again, im one of the few who doesnt listen to "new" music. we need more teenagers to do this! hooray for old music.