1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Kids these days... (S. O. S.)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bodeanly, May 4, 2018.

1. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    My son is 11. He refuses to pick up a legit instrument, but says he would like to make EDM or dubstep or whatever the crap that kids are getting high to these days. He has my old iMac and it has GarageBand, but I’m at a loss when it comes to most things that are loopty loops and samples and things. We sat there and imported some beats from some old stuff I got with Cubase and Reason, but he seemed a bit overwhelmed. Where is a good place to start him with this? I am willing to pay for decent software if it keeps him off of video games.

Thanks.

Sparkl, LowActionHero, TonyP- and 2 others like this.
  2. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    No way, maybe something from the sports.

3. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    take him camping. away from cell reception, lol

4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    As long as he is into music, it's good. What did you listen to when you were 11 compared to today? If there are any concerts in the area with this kind of music, go with him (bring earplugs). It will keep the two of you somewhat in sych with regard to music, and maybe he will see "real" instruments being used. When my son was younger, he liked Pitbull, so I took him to a concert in the area. We were both surprised by the fact that he had a full band, along with all the samples.

Top 10 Best Music Production Software – Digital Audio Workstations

5. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Every generation cultivates musical tastes that the prior generation finds annoying. :D

If your boy is displaying any interest in creative endeavors, that’s a very good thing.

GarageBand is pretty intuitive, yet pretty capable. There should be some good tutorial videos on YouTube, as well as basic instructional content from Apple. If I recall (I’m at the salt mine right now) there is some sort of tutorial embedded in the Help pages.

But it’s pretty much drag and drop. Drag loops from the loop library into tracks, play them back, adjust, repeat. Pretty fun actually!

6. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Funny how it all comes around...now we're the parents hating our kids' music!

As @buldog5151bass says, all you can do is encourage him.
    At least he's into some form of music and none of that athletic outdoorsy nonsense, eh?:D

7. Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    He has a deputy III belt in Tae Kwon Do and is currently playing baseball. I just want that music bridge to be there between us. I am down with him creating this “music,” but I wanna be able to help him.
    This is actually a good idea. :thumbsup:

8. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Does he listens to music much and what of a kind ?

9. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Don't push him too much. My wife was a concert violinist, and I've always played in bands. Our son just never got into playing music. If you push too hard, you might push him away.

10. Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Lots of sweet ideas! And thanks for the encouragement! I tried to reply to specific points that I found helpful, but I will have to wait until I get home. These space phones will be the end of us.

design, mellowgerman, frEQ and 2 others like this.
  11. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
  12. Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    He listens to everything. His first words were John, Paul, George, and Ringo. He’s grown up surrounded by music, instruments and otherwise. Radiohead, Beastie Boys, Prince, Nirvana, he’s all over the place. He plays violin in the school orchestra, but I’m using “plays” very loosely here.

frEQ, Duder and Oddly like this.
  13. Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    He’s got a guitar, drums, keys, any bass to choose from. He’s just not into it. He learned each for a couple weeks, then a new video game would come out. He wants to create soundtracks for video games.

Rich Fiscus, Obese Chess and frEQ like this.
  14. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    If he's into video games, there's a lot of great music used there, from original stuff to well-known tunes used in in-game car radio stations, etc.
    Maybe check what games he's playing and pick some music from them to work on together?

15. Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I know all the games he plays because I play them too. I guess I gotta have faith. See what I did there? But you’re totally right. And I’m totally a dork.

16. McBubbler

McBubbler

Apr 18, 2018
    Fruity Loops (FL Studio) or Ableton are both good places to start for EDM, that and an AKAI USB midi controller with at least 8 pads should make him happy.

JES, Saetia, corsa and 2 others like this.
  17. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    My father couldn't carry a tune far enough to bury it in the backyard - had no interest in music. He also wasn't into team sports at all.

But he always encouraged me to play music, and came to all my games (and took me to games). That's all you can do. We were always close, including a great adult friendship.

18. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    You should try him to show what this instrument can do, find some wonder playing in youtube.

Uncle Hanky and Bodeanly like this.
  19. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    +1 on Ableton. Besides being quite awesome for live and improvised EDM music, it's also a ful-fledged DAW.

20. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Ableton is great, and fairly easy to work with. It comes with some built in instruments, and you can always buy more as you desire. For hardware, you can pick up a used Launchpad or APC40 for not much money. If he's overwhelmed there are Ableton classes in every major city, and lots of tutorials on Youtube.

moonshinegtrs and Bodeanly like this.