Kids Today!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by cgworkman, Mar 12, 2005.

1. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
  2. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    The funny part is......that was suppose to be European? That's how kids act here in the States, and most of them get what they want because mommy and daddy are willing to shell out X amount of dollars to shut their kid up instead of dealing with it like a real parent should.

This is also the result of people who protest hitting your kids as punishment. You can hit a dog for doing something wrong, but not your own kid these days, funny how that works out.
  3. It's funny that you can hit a dog and not a kid? Sounds like those priorities are about correct. Unless of course you're suggesting that people shouldn't hit dogs as much as they do. Then I'd agree with you.

You're right, though. We need kids who behave themselves out of fear of corporal punishment. As we all know, the end justifies the means. :rolleyes:

P.S. That clip is hilarious. :D
  4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
  5. maverick

Mar 8, 2005
    London England
    not quite as extreeme but been there!!!!!
  6. walewein

Jun 13, 2003
    You don't need to hit a child to punish it, most of the time a "time out" procedure would do good. People are social animals, lock these children up in their room for a couple of minutes when they misbehave, social punishment is most used these days. I don't think hitting works. It's also good to reinforce good behavior, which doesn't happen much.
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Unfortunately, society sucks. People are too tied up in their jobs to properly raise children. Both parents have careers, and leave their children home to do as they please. These children grow up having little regard for authority, having little respect for their elders, peers, or themselves and end up being that proverbial bad egg.

I believe I have an inside view of this, as these are my peers I'm talking about. I find many driving without drivers licences, sneaking out at night to do drugs, and a former schoolmate of mine just burned his house down while smoking weed in his basement. Punished? Nope. Slap on the wrists from big time corporate mommy and daddy. They're handed free cars from their parents, insurance, cell phone and gas are all paid for, so they have no respect for money either. This aggrivates me.

I pay for everything, carry my own credit card which Mommy doesn't pay for. Hell, my mom actually raised me. And frankly, I'm probably the only person who respects anyone in my town.

I can't believe how crappy some parents are these days (no offense anyone) but as I see it as a seventeen year old male, there's a lot of crap that shouldn't be accepted by anyone, especially parents.
  8. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    P.S. Funny commercial.
  9. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Nope. My kids are properly raised. They're not allowed to spend hours alone everyday at home, etc. They've been taught respect to others regardless of age, gender, race, etc... I believe in the Old School ways I guess...

I don't worry about my kids doing some of the things you read or hear about because they've been raised by my wife and I properly. The problems today are not the kids, but the parents. Problem is, the kids are left to their own devices for so long that there's no redemption for their character.
  10. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I completly agree with this. This is mostly the reason why I can't stand anyone in the 13-20 age bracket around where I live. What you said basically applies to them. (And of course I know this dosn't apply to EVERYONE in that age bracket)

I refuse to accept most things given to me, because I could care less about material possessions. Just give me a bass and an amp (which I payed for myself anyways) and i'm fine. I actually get rather annoyed when people guy me gifts on Christmas. I would rather they just give me a card and leave me alone.

I don't support child abuse, but I do support smacking a kid around when he/she deserves it. When I was a kid my dad would beat by a$$ when I deserved it, and now I actually applaud him for it. Kids today have too much and they think what they do and say is important in some way. Bahh.
  11. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Where's NickTheBassist at??

12. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    That's me. Keep in mind that we, the "spoiled," only represent a tiny fraction of teenage society. The rest of teenagers are just rotten, but not spoiled.

As for society changing... it doesn't. While I do think it's unnatural for mothers to be out working with no one but the nanny to take care of the children, it's only a recent trend that may very well die out in the near future. Spoiled, disobediant and just plain "bad" kids have always existed.
  13. metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    I support a good wack everynow and then. It instill fear in the heart of a would be bad apple. And gives respect for authority early in life. Now abuse is different story. I will let you put 2 and 2 together.
  14. Yes, they have, but nowadays there's a trend to label them (without diagnosis) with all sorts of neurological illnesses rather than blaming poor parenting. Also, there is a drastic increase of bad behaviour in children because of the way society has gone. A lot of parents expect the education system to not only educate, but to also discipline children - something which it is simply not capable of doing. Simple as this - the first place you always have to look is the parents.

15. I agree, to an extent. See, there is a belief that there are two separate dimensions - one is punishment sensitivity, the other is reward sensitivity. A person's position on one does not change the position on the other. Hence, if a person is punishment sensitive and reward insensitive, it makes sense to use punishment of some kind. However, if the opposite is true, then using punishment will be completely pointless. In which case, rewarding good behaviour and removing freedom and other luxuries when bad will work far better than smacking ever will. You've just gotta know how the child works.

16. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    This is why Cos is getting shelled by the black community, or portions of it at least. He puts the blame squarely where it belongs- on the heads of the parents. There are way too many little "hood rats" running around these days with parents too caught up in trying to survive by working too much. My dad would frequently be away for the work week, mom would be home. On Friday nite, he'd get home and spend time with us playing, or helping us with homework, or chores, or whatever we needed as kids. Summers, he'd take 3 weeks off, put us all in the motorhome and off we'd go. Sometimes no destination, just a direction. We'd always have to research the places we visited, and come fall, we'd have our "What I Did This Summer" essays already typed out, complete with historical perspectives. That was parenting. These days, kids are usually viewed as more of a liability than a treasure. Selfish parents think nothing of dumping the kids at Granny's for a week while they go on vacation. They work insane hours, sometimes 12-15 a day, six days a week, getting that project done at work while the kids are either alone, running with the wrong element, or being raised by an illegal immigrant or nanny; in any case, a stranger. And they wonder why kids are turning out bad these days. They are surrounded by violence to the point that they are inured to it. Their music glorifies it. TV glorifies it. Movies glorify it. They have no childhood any more. No wonder they think that being a thug is cool. They have no one to look up to.

Sorry, end rant.
  17. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Bwaha! :smug:
  18. " Someones been very very naughty"
  19. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Funny commercial. Sometimes I don't think Spanking works.. I't did for me but for my cousins kids is a diffrent story. His little 5 year old when gets poped will laugh, or she will look and say that didn't hurt....

Anyway If my kids act 10 times as bad as I did when i was a kid as that the old saying goes. Then I guess i'm going to be in jail.
  20. Roberto

Dec 24, 2004
    Just smack the **** out of that kid. Lord knows my dad did.