1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Kids with expensive gear?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by organworthyplayer337, Nov 25, 2015.

1. organworthyplayer337

organworthyplayer337 Professional Hack

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    **Disclaimer; this thread is not to hate or anything.

Young kids with "expensive" gear, what do you think? I know some people (not me!) feel as though it automatically equals "hack" or "spoiled"

What do you think?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    static0verdrive and spaz21387 like this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Bah, expensive gear is for us old farts who've earned it! :roflmao:

(Then again, might want to be careful with assumptions, there's plenty of young folks out there who've earned it (by any definition) way more than I have, I'm definitely a spoiled hack - but an old one. :D)

TalHaz, Dug2, MobileHolmes and 2 others like this.
  3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    The kid who has the best gear because his daddy's rich is not necessarily the same, or a different, kid as the gifted kid who has nice gear because his playing has earned it. Did that make sense?

Alik, hintz, TalHaz and 6 others like this.
  4. Binary1

Binary1

Aug 13, 2015
    Hollywood East
    Maybe they got it from a parent who passed away? I'd hate to think my son would get labeled "undeserving" or "spoiled" by older players should I die and he gets my stuff.

Alik, FronTowardEnemy, VWbug and 12 others like this.
  5. Binary1

Binary1

Aug 13, 2015
    Hollywood East
    Maybe instead of laying around they worked themselves to the bone all summer and on any off time from school to save and get their stuff because they take their hobby very seriously and have a true passion for the music and instrument?

6. Too many unknown factors to make a decision positive or negative. We don't know the story behind the instrument. It could simply be a family with more wealth than the rest of us. Maybe parents rewarded something nice for report cards with straight A's or something like that.

Maybe the child started a paper route or another part-time job and worked/saved for a long time. I had a cousin that saved money from his paper route for 2-3 years to buy a dirtbike/motorcycle.

7. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I think some people spend waaaaay to much time worrying about what other people are doing. I don't care if the kid worked for two years to get the money for a Fodera, or if his daddy bought it for him. It doesn't affect my equipment or playing one tiny bit.

This "you gotta earn it" is BullSpit. I think it's mostly bitter individuals that can't stand someone having things easier than they had them. I delivered milk to earn the money for my first bass, bussed tables for my second and played Top 40/Disco for my third. I don't begrudge someone who has it easier than I did. I've seen kids that worked for equipment treat it like crap and kids that were given instruments treat them like fine china. It's all mostly how you were raised.

No get off of my lawn and go clean your room!

8. peledog

peledog Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Bass privilege

9. Wolfenstein666

Wolfenstein666

Dec 19, 2014
    Doesn't bother me a bit because I'm happy with what I have. And if I ever get bent out of shape about it i'll just saunter over to the bar and have myself another beer...

hintz, Mattster, OOD and 1 other person like this.
  10. Surfbr

Surfbr Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Does it matter?! Not a bit to me

11. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    It's fine by me. I tend not to care what other people do/have if it doesn't actually cause anyone else any harm. This is especially true of something as inconsequential as musical equipment.

12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It's life. Some people have nothing, others have more than they can use. Most of us are in the middle, and all of us are better off staying out of other people's business.

Basshappi, Stewie26, jonlimo and 21 others like this.
  13. denhou1974

denhou1974

Mar 6, 2008
    So I am supposed to buy crappy gear for my kids to make you feel better about yourself. Okay.

14. LowEndOperative

LowEndOperative ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Michigan
    Doesn't matter to me but if these kids think they're something they're not because they have a Mike Lull, they ought to have a mouth full of headstock.

Happy Thanksgiving!

15. I don't mind when kids have nice gear, as long as they aren't snobs about it.

16. Binary1

Binary1

Aug 13, 2015
    Hollywood East
    "they ought to have a mouth full of headstock."

What does that mean?

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  17. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    i had ' good gear ' when i was young , ... because my Dad was a good shopper ... !! new the owner at a local music store ... he helped by a few pianos for our church ,... while at it , he got me a great deal on a Yamaha upright piano ... an upgrade from the ancient big old upright i'd played for years ...

and from the same music store ... my 1st guitar - a 1957 Gibson ES225T ... only paid $125 .. !! the next year , my first bass - a 1969 Hagstrom Swede 8 string , again around $125 ... but , back in the early mid 70's , those items weren't as collectable or valuable as they might be now ...

i started with average amps by Univox ... soon moving to Sunn stuff ...

i'd say the only item or 2 that i might have been spoiled with ... my Conn Constellation trumpet , after played my grandfather's ancient Blessing trumpet for the first several years ... but i was ' first chair ' and pretty good ...

my first electric piano ... an RMI ... like Rick Wakeman played ... on that one i think i was just being a spoiled only child ... but i was a very good pianist by 16 , ... winning all kinds of awards and crap ...

more to the point of Now ... i think many parents throw stuff at their kids just to get them out of their hair , or just hoping something more expensive will actually make them practice .. ! neither is a good reason .. ! even if your rich and have money to burn , it still sends the wrong message ( in my mind ) ... !?

kids that are truly truly gifted with really good stuff ... Cool ... !!

hintz likes this.
  18. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    I started out at around age 15 playing a horrible p-bass copy I bought used off eBay for around $100 and played upside down (I play righty).

A couple years later I moved on to a $1,200.00 custom Carvin; I paid half myself and got half from my parents as a high school graduation present.

Pretty sure I was the same kid at both time periods.

JMacBass65, knumbskull, hintz and 5 others like this.
  19. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

There's no intrinsic virtue in having to struggle with your instrument. Or to get a good one. (Been there so I know.)

Good equipment is a leg up. It won't necessarily make you a better player. Or turn you into a musician. (They're two different things IMO.) But it can go a long way towards removing those discomforts, frustrations and impediments that sometimes are enough to derail a beginning bass player's career before it barely gets started.

IMO a beginner needs a professional instrument much more than a pro does. A pro can get a workmanlike sound and performance out of almost anything. Beginner and apprentice level players need all the help they can get.

That's why I gave away three AmStd Fenders to promising young players I know and kept their Squier counterparts in my collection for myself. I can get everything I want from a Fender type bass out of the CV Jazz or the Freeman PB I've got. And I don't care about which name is on a headstock. But these three kids (or their peers or school music directors) just might.

Like I said, having really good equipment is no guarantee. But it's a definite leg up. And I have no problem with that - even if I never got such a break myself.

20. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    Define kids? What's the definition of young kids?