Kiesel Vader Pickup Replacement

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Gfkfloyd, May 1, 2020.

1. Gfkfloyd

Gfkfloyd

Sep 30, 2017
    I recently got a Kiesel Vader equipment the standard radiused humbuckers and while they're surprisingly good sounding, I'm really learning to dislike the feeling of playing over the radius.
    I'm looking to replace them but seeing as they're p2 sized but for a 4 string, it makes finding comparable pickups difficult.
    Has anyone had luck swapping these pickups with an off the shelf blade pickups, specifically the Nordstrand Zen blades or would something need to be custom made?

Thanks!

2. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

If you verify that they're the P2 size, then the Nordstrand Zen Blades would definitely work. The blade pickups work for any number of strings. A nice choice for your atypical 4-string-P2 case!

3. Gfkfloyd

Gfkfloyd

Sep 30, 2017
    Thanks for the input! I measured them last night and they are indeed an exact P2 size. I know all the Nordstrand Blade pickups are intended to be continuously sensing but I was wondering if the raised portions of the blade where they intend the strings to be placed over be would cause a volume imbalance if one of the strings ends up over a one of the recessed areas of the blade.

4StringTheorist likes this.
  4. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

Great question. No there will be no issue. I've seen Carey mention on more than one occasion (like the most recent Bass Hang podcast) that the slots in the blades are purely there so that a piece of the pickup casing can go across. If the pickup shell had a full length slot across it, it would compromise the integrity of the pickup shell. Carey remarked that the engineering choice actually led to the pickup having a pretty distinctive, cool look. ;)

The blade slots don't compromise the sensing over that portion in any way: there's still a ton of blade magnet material under those locations, only the very tip top of the blade is notched away.

Gfkfloyd likes this.
  5. Gfkfloyd

Gfkfloyd

Sep 30, 2017
    Much appreciated! That's exactly what I was hoping to hear and I think I'm going grab a set of the Zen blades

4StringTheorist likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2022