1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Kiesel Zeus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vomicamonster, Jan 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Vomicamonster

Vomicamonster

Feb 6, 2017
    austin,tx
    Anyone seen this yet? Finally posted bass options and the shape is really growing on me. Normally that much contour isn't very appealing but I'm thinking it would look pretty killer with a figured wood top.
    Screenshot_20180106-205643. Screenshot_20180106-204436.

Mpike, wmmj, TolerancEJ and 1 other person like this.
  2. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    It's still not on the website for some reason

Fanned fret or short-scale options would've been nice

3. Vomicamonster

Vomicamonster

Feb 6, 2017
    austin,tx
    They may add later. They eventually added the 30" option for the Vaders... though a 32" (or 35") would be just dandy.

el_Bajo_Verde likes this.
  4. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear

Aug 14, 2000
    Not usually my cup of tea either, but I really like it... I like the smoother edges it has over the Vader

5. Toptube

Toptube Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    30" scale was a day 1 option for Vader basses.

Jeff says multi-scale is not planned for any of his headless basses. In other words, don't expect any NAMM surprises or anything relatively soon. He is always watching and he is very pro multi-scale. But, it sounds like he doesn't yet expect demand to drive the sales he would like.

IMO the multi-scale Vanquish bass is pretty ugly and probably isn't selling like he thought it might. And I say that as a fan of the regular Vanquish bass and the regular and MS Vanquish guitars. If he took the time to design a proper attractive MS bass either headless or with a headstock which was designed with care, I am pretty certain it would sell a lot better.

Mpike and biguglyman like this.
  6. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

I wonder when the whole headless/multi-scale fad will disappear again, or at least mostly go away...just like in the mid-late 80’s...

In regard to Jeff saying that he has no intention to do a multi scale or headless version of anything is rather skeptical. There was a Q&A with Jeff some time back, and he said that he had absolutely no intention or desire to do a Multi scale something-or-other (don’t remember if it was a Vader or Vanquish), and 4-6 months later it came out. So he might just be keeping other people’s minds off it before he introduces the product.

7. Wow, the Zeus looks really good. I like their Vader model as well.

8. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    upload_2018-1-10_11-52-25.

That finish looks awful... if they persist on trying to pass themselves off as having boutique level offerings, they are going to have to do better than that! IMHO and YMMV of course.

Adam Wright likes this.
  9. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

Did you happen to notice the buckeye burl topped guitar? That’s pretty boutique, isn’t it?
    It’s all in how thick your wallet is, right?

Mpike likes this.
  10. Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    I'm a huge fan of their Antique Ash Treatment and bought it the first year it was offered in 2014

Attached Files:

• ee.JPG
      ee.JPG
      File size:
      187.3 KB
      Views:
    5StringPocket and Mpike like this.
  11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Wow, I’m really digging that. Like really, really digging that.

12. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I love that a major player in the game is trying new stuff. I don't like everything they put out there. But I'm always excited when they come out with something new anyway.

This has potential. I would like to see it in other finishes. I realize I'm in the minority but I'm not a spalted or burled or other odd grains fan. Show me this sucker in gloss black or fire engine red and let's see how it shakes out.

13. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Oh I agree that they do some cool stuff. I just think they are showing inconsistency with this particular finish...especially that they thought it was nice enough to use in their marketing materials. Of course this is all based on my standards and preferences which may be out of whack.

14. Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    Showing the inconsistency of Ash---is the point of AAT! It has become a veritable staple of their finish offerings. Lots of people like it.

Mpike, TolerancEJ and Double E like this.
  15. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Not a big fan of antique ash, but I do dig this bass. The only question I would have in trying out the bass would be if that shorter single-cut upper "horn" is exactly balanced by the lack of headstock and tuners as well as the tuner mechanism down at the bridge. In other words I wonder if it has neck dive?

Also looks like only guitars and not basses come in fanned fret models.

16. PeaveyPlayer

PeaveyPlayer Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    I have a Steinberger synapse 5 and I find the body to be too small to be comfortable

The zeus looks like it has a larger body which is nice not a fan of the single cut going into the the neck but its definitely somthing to look into

17. The antique ash finish does nothing to make the Zeus look like a quality instrument.

Kiesel have a bit of a design issue at the moment in that they've introduced a couple of nice guitar shapes recently like the Zeus and the Vader, but simply upscaling these to bass guitar size doesn't work. The Vader bass in particular looks really goofy and outsize in comparison to the sleek guitar. I love headless basses in general, mind.

Kiesel are pushing these new designs hard. I can't recall the last time I saw a beautiful LB series bass on their Facebook page.

18. Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    A. headless drastically changes how the neck balances. B. The position of the top horn strap button is within millimeters of the same position as the Vader bass---which has zero balance issues. The Zeus does have a different rear button position, so it will hang differently. But I highly doubt there will be balance issues.

19. I agree with you about the Vader, but I think the opposite is true with the Zeus. The Zeus' proportions look a bit wonky on the guitar version, but I think they really work as a bass. The larger neck helps to bring it all together.

If this had a 30" option, it'd likely be my next bass. Unfortunately, a friend of mine who has worked with Jeff on some pricey Kiesel Edition customs contacted him to ask about a 30" option, and Jeff said no dice. Of course he's said that about stuff in the past that he later changed his mind about ("We can't do drop-tops on the Vader, the angle is too steep" comes to mind :laugh:), so who knows.

el_Bajo_Verde likes this.