1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Kijiji Ad: Double Neck with attitude about negotiating price

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flooflox, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Flooflox

Flooflox

Aug 25, 2014
    It's the last paragraph that made me laugh.

Double Neck Guitar/Bass - The Only One - Stratocaster / Mustang | guitars | St. Catharines | Kijiji

Double Neck Guitar/Bass - The Only One - Stratocaster / Mustang

Introduce yourself to Mr. Guitar: Made of a mad mix of Fender and Squire pieces, with a Stratocaster permanently joined to a Mustang short-scale bass. It's in the Mike Rutherford style with the guitar on top - most others are reversed.
    Features:
    - Massive, one piece pickguard.
    - Converted to single output (i.e. guitar and bass through same jack), but this could be reversed. Both jacks are in place.
    - 5-way switch on strat removed and replaced with three pickup selector toggles.
    - Single toggle switch between bass and guitar controls which instrument is "on".
    - Volume and tone controls. Provisions for additional pots are under the other knobs (labelled Flux Capacitor, Spine Adjuster, and Mystery Knob)
    - Bridge pickup on stratocaster replaced with an epicly loud humbucker.
    - Stock, single coil pickup on the bass. Still is plenty loud.
    - The necks are in great shape. Just set it up, so the intonation is correct on both necks.
    - The body is what it is - it has some imperfections near the joining line, but it is solid.

Serious inquiries only. The price is firm at $1000.
    If you only have $950, please save the additional $50 and then contact me. This is what most would consider to be a personal problem.
    If you live out of town and it's going to cost you $20 in gas to get here, the price will not be reduced to accomodate your fuel. Again, this is a personal problem.
    If you are looking to trade, the only thing I am interested in is a Gretch Electromatic 12-string.

2. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    I wouldn't deal with this guy even if I wanted that due to his attitude. I wouldn't want it though because it sounds like an incomplete job, "The body is what it is", "Provisions for extra knobs" (i.e. some knobs don't do anything) and the guy might be lying about the bass being a Mustang. Mustangs don't have single coil pickups normally.

PortlandBass77 likes this.
  3. friendlybass

friendlybass

Jul 19, 2012
    Colorado
    Sort of a snarky way to say I don't haggle. I typically wait till they actually try to haggle before I say sorry bro I'm not looking to haggle

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah he is clearly delusional.

Yes, when we list an item for sale we will usually get some lowball offers of both cash and trade for a toaster and a VCR. I get it. But when you are selling something, you are in sales. You gotta play the game. You gotta act like you aren't annoyed even when you are.

Never mind this is a hack job made of parts totalling in value somewhere around $200.... $250 max. Poorly executed. Odd design or concept to begin with. I wouldn't give you $1,000 for half a dozen of them shipped.

He can Kijiji my butt. :wacky:

5. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Unless I REALLY really wanted that piece, I'd pass just to not have to deal with the seller. It might be a perfect transaction and the guitar would be fine, but if not.... the potential for that to turn into a "stuffstorm" is already laid out. Lif's too short for pre-emptory bad attitude.

EdO. likes this.
  6. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I'm tempted to send a reply simply saying "This is a personal problem." That's one ugly mess right there.

7. gfen

gfen

Aug 21, 2014
    lehigh valley
    stayed at a holiday inn, once...
    Whether or not the instrument is worth it, the last paragraph is the sign of someone who's received far too many stupid trade deals to care.

He's taken the single line of "no best offer" and turned into several more amusing lines. Why? Because chances are people ignored his statement of "no haggling" in the past so now they can't miss it.

You people are too sensitive to things.

Also, it's ugly.

lfmn16, RichSnyder, Oddly and 4 others like this.
  8. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I might be able to see your point about the seller a bit better if they weren't asking 5 times too much for that sad travesty. Having been burned before is no reason to insult potential customers while trying to pawn off overpriced junk. Maybe they paid that much for it, which would indeed be sad. Still, I come away with more disgust than pity.

9. gfen

gfen

Aug 21, 2014
    lehigh valley
    stayed at a holiday inn, once...
    -shrug-

That's his problem, not yours. He thinks it's worth a grand, and that's where he's at. If you feel it's worth less, build your own. Not sure why that's hard to understand. He's simply stated that if you don't feel it's worth what he wants, then don't waste his, and your, time trying to haggle.

In a way, you've just proved his point. If he doesn't make it clear 1K is his bottom line, people will try to get him lower at all costs

People don't have to sell their products in a way that makes you or I happy.

Chico Ruger likes this.
  10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    My personal problem is that he doesn't show how he's conjoined these twins. No pic from the back and under the pickguard says hackjob. Also I have a personal problem with the 5h1tty finish job too.

11. M.R. Ogle

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    I do sympathize with the seller... I've had to deal with a lot of lowballing trolls before, too, and it DOES get old real quick.

But, just as in any business transaction, you gotta extend your hand, put on the (fake) smiley face and proceed with a certain level of respect to your potential buyer, because you are asking for their money and expecting their trust.
    Even if it kills you to do so. LOL.

Matthew Barrack and MarkoYYZ like this.
  12. Regardless of his attitude, I imagine the guitar is a Squier Strat, and I'm almost 100% certain that the bass is a Squier Bronco. So two $150 instruments butchered and glued together, and he's asking $1000. I wonder why he might be getting some lowball offers?

Fat Steve likes this.
  13. M.R. Ogle

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    I built one like that outa two Squiers. Fun instrument, but not a grand worth of fun.

14. Murdoc_420

Murdoc_420

Jan 20, 2016
    Colorado
    Does it come with a looper or are you supposed to lay down the bass line while playing rythym guitar? It needs an extra neck for solo guitar.

Either way you'll step on some toes. Say you're the bass player, when you jump over and start playing the guitar your guitar player is gonna get pissed or vice versa.

I just think it's a lose/lose situation regardless of price.

15. I like it.

16. Love this ad on the local CL. The ad had been up,steadily for over a year. It is for an 88 Celica in what appears to be good shape. But I think he's chased off a lot of potential buyers by his paranoia. In their defense it's probably a senior. I actually feel a bit sorry for them.

2 and 3 I think are the deal breakers for many.

1- Buyer needs to show photo id ( Driver license ) to seller before drive test.

2-Transaction and transfer title to buyer to be processed and completed only inside of seller's bank.

3-Transfer title to buyer is subject to buyer to pay all only cash to seller in seller's Bank

The seller has kept good maintenance and he has spent a lot of money for maintenance of this car! by the way selling of this car is subject to as is!!

5- New radio with CD has been installed ( Paid $150 )
    6- If you are interested in coming to look at car, please email me your phone number in order to set up appointment and give you address for drive test.

17. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    No way that POS gets more than $100.

18. Im pretty sure thats a affinty strat and a bronco bass, both squiers. Yesterday on CL I saw a squier bronco bass for $50 and all day you can pickup a squier strat for $50. Hack them together, do a crappy rattle can refinish and for $200 or less you have that. He personally see's his time as worth $800 or so and I cant argue with him over that, we all value our time differently. A simple "firm" after the price is enough to weed out probably 50% of lowballers in my experience. That said I had a bass recently on CL and I swear for a month daily I got really low ball offers from people, just delete the emails and move on. Never post your phone number in for sale ads, you can weed out time wasters and lowballers usually from the first email message.

19. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I saw a nice 90's Hartke 3500 head on eBay and sent the seller a message asking if he truly meant to specify a three week delivery turnaround. The guy responded with a really pushy email about what a pain in the neck it all was, and how the last guy backed out and I should accept the terms or buzz off. It sold for like, $150, but no way was I going to enter into that kind of sale.

20. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    where would you ever find that much ugly pick guard material? Must be three square yards!:vomit: