1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

kill switch help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jaebee, Mar 1, 2008.

1. jaebee

jaebee

Mar 16, 2007
    hi, I was attempting to install a killswitch, but experienced REDICULOUS hum when the button is depressed. i am using a NC, so I am shorting the ground, when I tried wiring it as NO (my switch has both options) the hum was present unless the switch was depressed.

i realize this is most likely a grounding issue, and was wondering if anyone has any solutions to offer, ie a way to eliminate the hum when the switch is depressed while still killing the signal.

thanks!

justin

2. Instead of wiring it to short the ground (maybe you're creating a ground loop), try wiring it up to break the circuit entirely when pressed. My pickups are wired so that the hot wire goes to the switch, then to the jack. When the switch is in the off position, the circuit is broken.

EDIT: And no hum here.