Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kill Switch

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Gopher Bob, Apr 19, 2002.

1. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    If this is in the wrong section move it.
    I need to know how to wire a 2 way toggle switch to completly cut the sound off when i switch it.
    The bass i want to do this to has 2(cheap) J pups and 2 volume knobs and one tone.
    So can anyone assist me in finding info on how to do this myself, also where to get a good price on the stuff i need, preferably online ordering?

2. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    if you were to do that, i'd be very concerned with the POP you're going to get when you flip that switch. Maybe i'm wrong, but it seems like it could be sorta loud if you're turned up.

3. Not if you put a capacitor in it ;)

4. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    if i actually put one in and it made pops i would remove it

5. I just use my volume knob, but if you have 2 that messes up the balance.

6. i know the feeling. i played a musical a few months ago, and the solution i came up with was to use a volume pedal. i could shut it off between songs, which was perfect.

what i'm thinking of doing now, is switching from two volumes, to a volume and a blend pot. if you're willing to do the wiring, i'd say that's the way to go.

7. Damian Coccio

Damian Coccio Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2002
    USA
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Guitars
    Blend pots are nice on active basses, however I would avoid it on a passive bass, because it will cause excess high end loss because there are no actives to buffer the signal into the cable. When set at the center of the blend it will add considerable resistance in series with the output.

For a kill switch with no pots just wire a SPDT On-On switch as follows:

Contact #1 (normally closed): wire to sum of pickup pots
    Center contact (common): wire to output jack on bass
    Contact#2 (normally open): wire through a 100K resistor to bass ground.

This will eliminate the pop on turn on/off. A capacitor across the contacs is not quite the best solution because it may allow high frequency pass through when the switch is off.

8. If you want to do Jonny Greenwood imitations on bass, put in the switch.

If you want to be able to turn the sound off or down, use a volume pedal, or an A/B with no B attached.